[tabi] Re: home telephone!

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:51:47 -0500

Hi Joe,
If you're a window eyes user, there's a script available now called Product
Search, where you press a hotkey, and a dialog pops up asking you what to
look for; it searches the web, including vendors of special technology for
the blind, and puts the results up in a normal windows dialog, with a
description for each item, and a button to go to it's web site.  (you can
get a similar search by going to the web site of blind bargains, but you'll
have to deal with the results in a web browser).
I entered talking phone and cordless, and came up with this item right away;
it's available from Amazon:
Serene HD 40dB Amplified Talking Cordless Big Button Phone
Freedom and flexibility for the hard of hearing and those with low vision
With 40+ dB (100 times) amplification, a super loud 90dB ringer plus visual
ring flasher, oversized 5/8 backlit buttons, Talking Caller ID and talk-back
keys that announce keys pressed to confirm you've dialed correctly, this
versatile cordless phone has it all   FEATURES and SPECIFICATIONS:
- Talking Caller ID announces (in English or French) the caller's number so
you know who is calling before answering the phone - Large and brightly lit
backlit keys for easy viewing - All keys talk back in a clear voice (in your
choice of English or French) to confirm that you've pressed the correct
numbers - Eight (8) one-touch speed dial buttons for quick, easy dialing -
One-touch Call for Help button for hands free emergency calls - Audible and
visual indicators for voicemail and missed calls - Amplifies incoming sound
up to 100 times (40+ dB) louder - HDS (Hi Definition Sound) technology makes
every word sharp, clear and intelligible - High performance speakerphone -
Bright visual ring flasher and super loud ringer (90+ dB) on handset and
base - DECT 6.0 technology for superior range and interference-free calls -
Battery back-up for full operation during a power outage. Uses 4 AAA
Rechargeable Batteries ONLY (Not included.) - Includes line cord, AC
adapter, handset rechargeable batteries and lanyard for easy carrying -
Hearing aid compatible handset - Measures: 6-3/4 W x 5 D x 3 H (7-1/2 High
with Cord...