[tabi] Re: from today's Democrat: Lack of quorum stalls vote on bus changes

  • From: "Charles Atkins" <catkins@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:58:29 -0500

Don't know why tax payers money doesn't warrant there being a perfect bus system, subway was so made more than, or, nearly a hundred years ago?

To add,this is Florida's capital City!

Once you reach the trains you are safe from rain, and some other bedaunting conditions.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Beth" <thebluesisloose@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:53:34 -0500
Subject: [tabi] from today's Democrat: Lack of quorum stalls vote
on bus changes

January 22, 2010

Lack of quorum stalls vote on bus changes
By TaMaryn Waters
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

The city of Tallahassee's Transit Advisory Committee, a
citizen-advisory
board, couldn't
vote on StarMetro's proposed Nova 2010 plan Thursday night since
it
didn't have a
quorum.
A special meeting is now set for Thursday so the committee can
vote on
whether to
support the plan, which includes changes in how the city's bus
system
operates. StarMetro
planners will use the vote as a guide for finishing a draft
report and
map, which
has had eight revisions since August. It's slated to go before
the City
Commission
in March.
During Thursday's meeting, several concerns were brought up by
committee
members
and riders. Those include safety, particularly when crossing busy
intersections,
the elimination of a route into Governor's Square mall and a need
for
more audible
signals.
"The safety concerns are riding over everything," Kevin Davis, a
committee member
and StarMetro rider, said.
Davis said he supports some of the proposals, but he said the
safety
concerns are
"overwhelming" compared to the plan's benefits.
Owen McCaul, a bus rider, agreed, especially since the new plan
has 39
transfer points
but only two audible signals, which he says are helpful for
people with
disabilities.
"I really feel like they are not giving adequate attention to the
safety
concerns,"
McCaul said.
Sam Scheib, a senior StarMetro planner, said the plan, which is
designed
to decentralize
the bus system, would create bus-transfer spots across town
rather than
run all routes
through the C.K. Steele Plaza. It would increase the number of
buses
coming to a
bus stop during peak hours, and it would reduce routes in some
areas.
He said planners are looking into safety and logistical issues.
The
draft has been
changed several times as a result of input from riders. For
example,
service to Trojan
Trail was added instead of backtracking on Conner Boulevard, and
a "loop
route" was
divided into two different routes in an effort to increase
connectivity
between the
south side and Lake Jackson areas.
Some riders were worried about the lack of sidewalks at some of
transfer
points.
Scheib said the city is working on that, although he couldn't
guarantee
they'd be
complete by nova2010's target launch in December.
As for a route into Governor's Square mall, Scheib said it would
cost
$46,000 per
year. He said the plan must remain "cost neutral."
"If we can get Governor's Square mall to pay for it, then we can
do it,"
he said.
Or, Scheib said, some other service will be affected.

if you'd like to unsubscribe you can do so through the
freelists.org web interface, or by sending an email to the address tabi-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "unsubscribe" in the subject. Check out the TABI resource web page at http://acorange.home.comcast.net/TABI