[tabi] free smoke detector with installation

  • From: Chip Orange <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 20:39:55 +0000

I've just had a call from a TABI user who wanted to pass along that the fire
department will provide and install smoke detectors, at no charge, to any
disabled person.  They will also install at no charge gas and/or carbon
monoxide detectors which you have purchased.

For more information you can call them at 606-6600.

A personal note: we had an extra smoke detector (after placing them in all the
recommended locations) a couple of years back.  It was battery powered, and not
knowing what to do with it, I placed in up high in a location in our laundry
room (where we had an electric dryer).

A couple of years ago this smoke alarm went off, and when I ran in there, the
dryer was on fire.  I unplugged it and called the fire department.  They
arrived within a couple of minutes, and told me that only the dryer itself had
been on fire, and it hadn't spread to the building; so they removed it to the
outside for me.  You can bet I'm a believer now in putting a smoke detector
(not just a heat detector, which are less likely to go off until there's a
blazing fire), near the clothes dryer.

While it's always a good idea to have dryer vents cleaned by companies such as
those who clean chimneys (and we did), this particular incident was caused by a
faulty repair from a few weeks earlier.

Have a safe new year.

Computer Systems Analyst
850-413-6314