[tabi] for Sendero GPS owners

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:29:12 -0400

Hi all,

I've been in discussions with Sendero technical support for the problem
of our 800 bus stop POIs which Star Metro recently furnished to me in
hope of being able to furnish them to Sendero product users.  I created
a GPX file of these bus stops for anyone who could like a copy;
unfortunately, Sendero currently has no way of importing any POI data
from any source other than Sendero itself.  A Sendero user can however,
enter POI data by hand.

If anyone would like, I could supply you either with the entire list (as
a text file), or with specific stop locations (say those within a
certain distance) or some location, or just the stops used by a specific
route.  You could enter these stops by hand for right now.  Sendero is
willing to move this issue up in priority, and work on adding this
capability soon (possibly including exchange POI data with Trekker users
as well).

As Mike Mae just pointed out in a recent message, as independent blind
travelers, then things we need to know the locations of (such as the
front doors of a building set back from the street) are seldom the same
as the published coordinates you might get from some mapping data
service.

This leads me to my second idea: I would be willing to create and
maintain a POI database for the Tallahassee area blind users who make
use of a GPS for their navigation.  If people would be willing to email
me lat/lon info, along with a description of a POI, I could add it to
the database until we can come up with a more automated solution.  I
wasn't thinking of duplicating data easily found in Google etc. (such as
the location of every McDonalds), but other items (such as the locations
of audible traffic signals, the Lighthouse and other organizations
important to the visually impaired community, FSU/FAMU/TCC info for
students, etc). This could be a useful resource for everyone in this
area, especially since the explosion of smart phones with accessible GPS
navigational systems.

If anyone has thoughts on such a project let me know.

Thanks.