[tabi] Re: e: device wanted

  • From: "Bubba" <bubbathegeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 10:01:31 -0400

No the data plan is not unlimited any more on any carrier that carries the
iphone any more. These two carriers are ATT and Verizon . Unless you are an
old customer with the unlimited data plan. Also I think you lose it if you
change devices or plans. The new data plans start at 15 bucks and go up. The
data plan is required for the iphone.  The voice plans start at 40 bucks and
go up and the text plan start at 5 bucks and go up. So the minim amount for
a starter plan on the iphone is about 60 bucks before taxes. And go up from
there.

Bubba
bubbathegeek@xxxxxxxxx

From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:08:05 -0400
Subject: [tabi] device wanted

Hi Bruce,

I changed the subject line to better reflect your question.

I've seen Sally and William (and others I think) speak very well
of
their I-phones.  I believe they will do all the things you
mentioned
(I'm hoping some I-phone owner will confirm this).

However, it's my understanding you'll be paying around $100 a
month for
the plans needed to do this (need an I-phone owner again); this
is what
my friend has to pay for hers anyway.  She has the unlimited data
plan,
and if you're going to be listening to streaming media such as
internet
radio a lot, you'll need it.

I don't know what the up front cost will be, a few hundred
dollars, but
it's really nothing compared to a multi-year contract at a $100 a
month.

I just don't use a cell phone that much where I want to spend
that much
money on one.  And, for internet use, I far prefer a laptop to a
phone.

My preference would be to sign up for a plan which gives you a
cell
modem for a laptop for your internet anywhere access (they give
you a
little card or USB device for your laptop which is a cell modem),
and
then get an inexpensive cell phone separately.

I get away with one of the pay-as-you-go cell phones with no
speech
(track phone or virgin mobile), and it costs almost nothing.
T-mobile
is now offering a pay-as-you-go plan (no contract), and you can
buy a
phone like the haven which has speech.  so, if you don't feel you
could
use a prepaid phone by touch without speech, you could get your
phone
service cheaply through t-mobile.  perhaps others now offer
pay-as-you-go plans, I haven't looked into it.  such plans though
are
almost always cheaper, usually *much* cheaper, than a traditional
yearly
contract cell phone plan, with a high monthly fee (virgin
mobile's is 18
cents a minute).

I hope others will chime in with their experience, and there are
plenty
of sites on the internet for the blind, which offer reviews of
cell
phone options.

Chip