[tabi] e: Re: e: Re: Red Light Cameras

  • From: craig kiser <sckiser55@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 22:42:49 -0400

The red light camera law is different than someone taking a picture of a crime. My complaint is about who has the burden of proof in such cases. Our constitution protects us by making it clear that the state has the burden of proving guilt beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt. The red light camera law switches that burden to the defendant-making the person charged prove his innocence. Now they are discussing lengthening the time the yellow light will display. Will this increase the number of people speeding up to make it through the light? The statistics show that the use of red light cameras has reduced the number of t-bone accidents, but has increased the number of rear-end accidents. I haven't heard any statistics about pedestrian accidents. But, in a way, the statistics don't matter as much as what is has done to our constitutional rights and the growing intrusion of government into our lives and rights. Red light cameras may be a small intrusion, but represent a continuation of our rights being lost.

From: "blindwilly" <blindwilly@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:17:25 -0400
Subject: [tabi] Re: Red Light Cameras

chip,

Red lights are installed at the makers cost. The city gets a prophet off them. The only ones who loose are those that like to cheat. Can you
tell
I am in favor of them?

William