[tabi] Re: e: Re: Red Light Cameras

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 20:01:26 -0400

Sorry, but I can't agree.  The easiest way to demonstrate how careless
people become about the law is that when wheel-chair parking had a fine of
only $10, the police simply couldn't keep the handicapped-accessible spaces
empty.  when the fine went to $250, magic! no more crime (as related to
parking in wheel-chair reserved spots anyway).  People were simply ignoring
the law, and yes, I think that happens quite a bit when it comes to running
red lights.

And the argument for "guilty until proven innocent"??? sorry, but I am no
more or less guilty because a policeman thinks he has seen me run a red
light than when a camera and motion sensors see me do it.  I'd even bet a
study would show the cameras are more accurate than people, and they're
certainly on duty 24x7.

If the IRS catches you cheating on your taxes because some computer program
spots it, rather than an auditor literally watching you spotting it, are you
somehow less guilty?  are you somehow guilty until proven innocent?  we've
had technological aids for catching criminals for many many years (I don't
know how far back they go), and we've recognized and lived with the idea
that once they become accurate enough, they're as good as any person as far
as being used for making a charge.

 So, if we could catch other types of crime by putting out more cameras, I'm
all for it.  last week or so a package was taken from my front doorstep.  i
wish I had a camera there to capture the image of who did that, because it's
likely to happen again and again, until the potential thieves have some
reason to think they may be caught; I believe the same is true for careless
drivers, and those who just choose to ignore the law and take chances by
driving while using a cell phone, or by "pushing" a red light just that
extra little bit.

From: "blindwilly" <blindwilly@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 18:17:25 -0400
Subject: [tabi] Re: Red Light Cameras

chip,

Red lights are installed at the makers cost.   The city gets a
prophet off
them.   The only ones who loose are those that like to cheat.
Can you tell
I am in favor of them?

William