[tabi] Re: congratulations to Owen McCaul

  • From: Lighthouse of the Big Bend <lighthousebigbend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:17:15 -0400

Congratulations to Owen McCaul for winning the 2011 Paula Bailey
"Insporational Community Member" Award! Below is the article from the
Democrat:

Lighthouse of the Big Bend honors Owen McCaul for inspiring others
Owen McCaul received the Inspirational Community Member Award at
Lighthouse of the Big Bend’s Paula Bailey Dining in the Dark benefit .

The annual award recognizes someone who has the ability to invoke
positive emotion and action in others. A nonprofit since 1983,
Lighthouse of the Big Bend provides free services for people who are
legally blind in 11 counties.

McCaul has been an Assistant State Attorney in Leon County for 22 years.

“Though Owen has never had perfect vision or been able to drive, that
hasn’t stopped him from more than adequately providing for his family
and striving for excellence in serving in our judicial system and
community,” Lighthouse of the Big Bend board member Sila Miller wrote
in nominating McCaul. “He is an avid reader, keeping up with current
affairs through the newspaper and Internet, involved and concerned
with his children’s school environment, his community, church, and
actively serves the less fortunate.

“Owen tirelessly advocates for safe and reliable public transportation
and works hard to get honest answers and bring out the sometimes
unpopular truth.”

McCaul was appointed to the board of trustees of the Florida School
for the Deaf and Blind in 2006 and currently serves as vice chairman.
He and his wife Erica have two children, Trisha and Ian.

--
Lighthouse of the Big Bend
Guiding People Through Vision Loss