[tabi] Re: attitudes toward the unemployed

  • From: "Daniel Ben Moshe" <danielbenmoshe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:30:38 -0400

The artical was very good.  It shows what i have known for the longest time,
about our country.  We have to be real, and understand.  that if sighted
people are going through this, what is going to happen to the blind and
disabled?  We must think outside of the box.

I'm glad to be your humble and obedient servant,

Zechen Elder Daniel Ben Moshe,
Benai Yahshuah Synagogue Of Broward County,
www.theblindcansee.org
Choose ye this day whom you will serve.  If Yahweh be Elohim, then serve
him, with all of your hart.  However, if bail be your master.  Then serve
him.  As for me, and my house.  We choose, to serve Yahweh!

The late Bishop Joe Patterson told a story long ago, when i was a small
child.  About Elijah, and the 450 false prophets of bail.  He said that
Elijah, stood, and told the false prophets to go on ahead, because they had
a much larger program.  He said that they had 450 participants, and he only
had one.  Elijah, also reminded them, that they had to drag their god up the
mountain side on an ox cart.  the man of yahweh, also said, that his Elohim
would be there when he arrived.  He said mockingly,you go on ahead.  Heck, I
will even let you call your god first.  I'M going to take a nap, and when
you guys finish your foolishness, wake me up. Go ahead now, take your best
shot.
Bishop Joe O Patterson
A blessed memory
1963-1989

  _____

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010
Posted on Thu, Jul. 08, 2010
Unemployed need support from Congress
By BARB SHELLY
The Kansas City Star
They are our neighbors and our kids' schoolteachers. They are the people who
in better
times built our houses and highways, manufactured the goods we use and
stocked the
shelves in our stores.
Meet the long-term unemployed. There but for some fortunate breaks go many
of us.
So why are they being vilified?
Congress is dithering on extending unemployment insurance benefits. The
longer the
debate goes on, the more it encourages the false but deep-rooted American
notion
that if a person is in need, it's got to be his or her fault.
And so we have senators and think-tank types opining that extended
unemployment insurance
presents a "disincentive" for people to look for work. As if living on
uncertainty
and an average of $310 a week is now the great American dream.
We have Rand Paul, the GOP senatorial candidate from Kentucky, lecturing on
a radio
show that ". ultimately we do have to sometimes accept a wage that's less
than we
had at our previous job in order to get back to work and allow the economy
to get
started again." Like people desperate for jobs haven't thought of that.
We have people using the Internet's cloak of anonymity to express insulting
opinions.
"The great unasked question in the face of bad unemployment numbers is, how
many
of these people weren't performing well even in the 'good' times?" a reader
asked
And we have some employers specifying in their job listings that "unemployed
candidates
will not be considered" or applicants "must be currently employed." And no,
discrimination
against the unemployed is not prohibited by law.
We have in our nation a tendency to want to blame people for their own bad
circumstances.
It reared up in the health care debate, when uninsured people were maligned
as handout
seekers.
It's social Darwinism in action even if some who exhibit it don't subscribe
to the
theory of evolution. And I will agree that actions and behaviors can and
often do
play a role in one's circumstances.
But right now we have five job seekers applying for every opening. Those are
lousy
odds, even if employers aren't stigmatizing the unemployed.
Who are the long-term unemployed? I asked Christine Owens, executive
director of
the National Employment Law Project, a research and advocacy group.
They tend to be older, she said, usually 45 years and up. A majority are
men. Many,
but by no means all, have less than a college education. Many worked in
construction,
manufacturing, banking, and retail. They have been out of work at least 26
weeks,
often much longer.
I know some of these people. Many of them have worked for decades and took
great
pride in doing so. They are people who volunteer in their communities, send
their
kids to college and care for elderly parents.
The notion that they're using their unemployment checks to finance an
extended vacation
would be comical except that some people actually believe it.
Conservatives tell us that "the overwhelming majority" of studies show that
people
postpone looking for work if they're receiving unemployment pay.
Don't buy it. Newer research is finding that it's not the lack of trying
that's keeping
people out of work. It's the lack of jobs.
One example: Economists Rob Valetta and Katherine Kuang at the Federal
Reserve Bank
of San Francisco analyzed the experiences of workers who left their jobs
voluntarily
and received no unemployment benefits, and workers who were laid off and
receive
unemployment insurance.
They found little difference in the length of time it took the two
categories of
workers to find new jobs. For both groups, the search took too long.
Of course Congress should extend unemployment benefits. The money will act
as a stimulus,
stave off foreclosures and keep people from needing other forms of aid.
Agree or disagree, but can we at least not make unemployed people the
villains of
this debate? They don't need the hassle.
They need jobs.