[tabi] Re: attitudes toward the unemployed

  • From: "Cliff Roberts" <redroosterroberts1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:47:35 -0400

it took me 10 years!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Darla J. Rogers
  To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 11:46 PM
  Subject: [tabi] Re: attitudes toward the unemployed

  Being unemployed makes me feel pretty useless, actually.

  Darla & Precious Roxy
  P.S.  Wonder how long it is taking a blind person to find a job?

  Darla J. Rogers

  djrogers0628@xxxxxxxxxxx
  Skype Username:  wildflower0628
  "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere."---Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010
    Posted on Thu, Jul. 08, 2010
    Unemployed need support from Congress
    By BARB SHELLY
    The Kansas City Star
    They are our neighbors and our kids' schoolteachers. They are the people
who in better
    times built our houses and highways, manufactured the goods we use and
stocked the
    shelves in our stores.
    Meet the long-term unemployed. There but for some fortunate breaks go many
of us.
    So why are they being vilified?
    Congress is dithering on extending unemployment insurance benefits. The
longer the
    debate goes on, the more it encourages the false but deep-rooted American
notion
    that if a person is in need, it's got to be his or her fault.
    And so we have senators and think-tank types opining that extended
unemployment insurance
    presents a "disincentive" for people to look for work. As if living on
uncertainty
    and an average of $310 a week is now the great American dream.
    We have Rand Paul, the GOP senatorial candidate from Kentucky, lecturing on
a radio
    show that ". ultimately we do have to sometimes accept a wage that's less
than we
    had at our previous job in order to get back to work and allow the economy
to get
    started again." Like people desperate for jobs haven't thought of that.
    We have people using the Internet's cloak of anonymity to express insulting
opinions.
    "The great unasked question in the face of bad unemployment numbers is, how
many
    of these people weren't performing well even in the 'good' times?" a reader
asked
    And we have some employers specifying in their job listings that
"unemployed candidates
    will not be considered" or applicants "must be currently employed." And no,
discrimination
    against the unemployed is not prohibited by law.
    We have in our nation a tendency to want to blame people for their own bad
circumstances.
    It reared up in the health care debate, when uninsured people were maligned
as handout
    seekers.
    It's social Darwinism in action even if some who exhibit it don't subscribe
to the
    theory of evolution. And I will agree that actions and behaviors can and
often do
    play a role in one's circumstances.
    But right now we have five job seekers applying for every opening. Those
are lousy
    odds, even if employers aren't stigmatizing the unemployed.
    Who are the long-term unemployed? I asked Christine Owens, executive
director of
    the National Employment Law Project, a research and advocacy group.
    They tend to be older, she said, usually 45 years and up. A majority are
men. Many,
    but by no means all, have less than a college education. Many worked in
construction,
    manufacturing, banking, and retail. They have been out of work at least 26
weeks,
    often much longer.
    I know some of these people. Many of them have worked for decades and took
great
    pride in doing so. They are people who volunteer in their communities, send
their
    kids to college and care for elderly parents.
    The notion that they're using their unemployment checks to finance an
extended vacation
    would be comical except that some people actually believe it.
    Conservatives tell us that "the overwhelming majority" of studies show that
people
    postpone looking for work if they're receiving unemployment pay.
    Don't buy it. Newer research is finding that it's not the lack of trying
that's keeping
    people out of work. It's the lack of jobs.
    One example: Economists Rob Valetta and Katherine Kuang at the Federal
Reserve Bank
    of San Francisco analyzed the experiences of workers who left their jobs
voluntarily
    and received no unemployment benefits, and workers who were laid off and
receive
    unemployment insurance.
    They found little difference in the length of time it took the two
categories of
    workers to find new jobs. For both groups, the search took too long.
    Of course Congress should extend unemployment benefits. The money will act
as a stimulus,
    stave off foreclosures and keep people from needing other forms of aid.
    Agree or disagree, but can we at least not make unemployed people the
villains of
    this debate? They don't need the hassle.
    They need jobs.