[tabi] Re: article for tomorrow's Democrat: Sidewalk construction for Nova2010

  • From: "Barbara Lineberry" <bkblpp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 15:16:22 -0500

Just a note from a sighted member of this group.  It's not just the blind that
have obstacles to their freedom.  I'm severely orthopedically challenged and
can't go to many of the places around town due to obstacles and poor balance.
It's been this way all of my life, but is getting much worse as I get older.
I'm at peace with the problem for the most part but I'm only speaking for
myself.  Yes, sidewalks would be a wonderful addition and even I can appreciate
the audible signals.  Thank heavens I can drive with hand controls, but not
always, as have torn rotator cuffs and don't always have the strength to turn
the wheel.  I'm well aware of being frustrated at some situations.  I'm one who
believes things are finally accomplished when someone in power or who is famous
develops a disability which then gets a lot of publicity and forces the
"temporarily able" to make changes.  And there are sidewalks in several places
that are in disrepair with cracks and other problems and those places will
probably be listed as with sidewalks even though they are more dangerous.  And
to Sila and Darla, even though I haven't made a formal check, I'm pretty sure
that Kerry Forest has sidewalks, at least on one side and maybe both.