[tabi] another way to get help

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 14:19:57 -0400

below is an article from a recent Democrat issue.  it describes a new
program where any person needing help can register, and be matched with
a volunteer willing to give that help.  I'm hoping it can be beneficial
to blind people who may need help getting to the doctor and getting
through all the paperwork say, or perhaps going to the store and
shopping.

the web site to use to register for help is:

http://www.helpandhope.info

------------

September 18, 2009

United Way's new program matches donors, recipients
By Elizabeth M. Mack
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

One night while eating dinner with Ken Armstrong and his wife, Jeanie,
Linda South
induced a conversation that planted the seed for what has become the
HELP&HOPE program.
"We were discussing how the economic condition we're in will impact
people who are
not traditionally distressed," said South, secretary for the Florida
Department of
Management Services.
On a rainy Thursday afternoon, 35 community members representing United
Way-certified
agencies gathered to announce the latest addition to the way the United
Way of the
Big Bend will serve the community - through the HELP&HOPE program.
HELP&HOPE is a project that will connect individuals seeking help to
those who are
offering help.
The services that are offered by the program are virtually infinite,
according to
Armstrong, UWBB president.
As an example, Armstrong said, if there was an auto repair shop owner
who was doing
well and that person wanted to help by repairing the car of a person who
needed repairs
but couldn't afford it, the owner would fix that vehicle for free.
Randy Nicklaus, president of 2-1-1 Big Bend, said their call volume has
recently
increased by 20 to 30 percent - which he believes is due to the
struggling economy.
"Because there are people still losing their jobs, the calls we get are
definitely
saying that we have a need," Nicklaus said about the new program. "This
program has
the potential to be beneficial to the community for people who have been
affected
by the economy."
Nicklaus said 2-1-1 Big Bend will explain what the HELP&HOPE program is.
It will
also direct people to the HELP&HOPE Web site, and help the callers to
fill out the
registration form - which is similar to the services that they already
provide.
HELP&HOPE is another program that is powered by volunteers throughout
the eight counties
that UWBB serves.
"I'm convinced that we need to do more," Armstrong said, about the
HELP&HOPE project.
"Eight years ago, one month after 9/11, we had United We Stand Day right
here in
the Civic Center arena. We want to send that same message again that
united we stand
and together we can help each other to regain hope."
South said she takes no credit for the program. She gives that to
Armstrong.
"If it was a nudge it didn't take much," she said. "Ken [Armstrong] was
perfect as
the catalyst."
For more information about HELP&HOPE visit,
www.helpandhope.info