[tabi] another GPS report

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:19:01 -0400

hi all,

earlier I reported I had purchased one of the new models of high-sensitivity
GPS receivers.  they are supposed to work indoors, as well as much quicker
and better outdoors.

well, it did sort of, but it was a usb interface, and it only worked well
with the software from the same manufacturer (Delorme); not with my
application.  they had a generic driver, but it didn't work well.

it was a standard 12 channel design, and was only $40, so I wasn't too
upset.

Then, I found an even better one; it used bluetooth, had 66 channels, and
the same high-sensitivity.

I just received it, plugged it into my pc, and it just worked!!! it's now
talking to my pc, via bluetooth, in the house, and it's giving me my
position within 3 meters, and it only took a few seconds from a cold start!
and, it was only around $75.

And, if you have something that doesn't have bluetooth, it also has a usb
interface, and a better windows driver for usb than my old one!

It's an I-blue 747a and I got it from Amazon if anyone else is interested.
it's also about the size of a deck of cards, maybe smaller!

it does not output serial information, and so if your device requires that,
and can't run a windows driver (like some older ones do), then I guess this
wouldn't work.  otherwise, this is well worth investigating.

Anyone who likes is welcome to borrow this and try it.  And of course,
Amazon has a great returns policy.

hth,