[tabi] access now possible for the google calendar application

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:46:35 -0400

from the Adaptec Insider newsletter:

Povidi Releases "My Accessible Google", Non-Visual Access to Google's
Calendar Application!
RELEASED: May 17, 2011
Date: Tuesday, May 17, 2011
For Immediate Release: Povidi Releases "My Accessible Google",
Non-Visual Access
to Google's Calendar application!! - Christchurch, New Zealand -
Cleveland, OH USA
- PR Web
Today, Povidi LTD announced that for the first time users who are
visually impaired
will now be able to access Google's Calendar Application. Up until now,
this robust,
online means of organizing one's calendar has been virtually
inaccessible to persons
who are blind or visually impaired. But no longer thanks to the
development efforts
of Povidi, a New Zealand-based development firm committed to providing
orientation
and navigation solutions as well as intuitive access to otherwise
relatively inaccessible
web-based applications by persons who are blind or visually impaired.
Povidi has created a user interface to Google's Calendar Application
that can be
freely utilized by visiting
http://www.povidi.com/mag/
. Users must first have a Google account; once they sign in and grant
this application
access to their Google calendar, users may create, store, and review
appointments
in the same manner as their sighted peers. Povidi was able to accomplish
this milestone
in the wake of a tragic earthquake that has decimated Christchurch.
"We're delighted with this breakthrough," stated Darryl Sherwood,
founder of Povidi.
"
We're seeing a trend whereby vision impaired computer users are expected
to manage
and access information in a similar fashion to their sighted peers, and
we're keen
to explore ways to give them the tools they need to accomplish the tasks
they are
expected to independently complete."