[tabi] Re: a unique very portable Bluetooth speaker

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 14:52:00 -0400

Hi again all,

Since so many of us have portable book players or phones we use for
listening to things, I thought I'd add one more message to this discussion
on the speakers I ended up purchasing, because they are newly on the market.

I didn't buy the Sony which uses NFC because I don't have any device with
NFC; also, while it's one of the 360 degree sound (it's sound is equally
good in all directions) speakers (only a few are like this), it's still only
a mono speaker.  The ones which are stereo aren't wireless (as far as I
know).

However, a company does have a speaker on the market (again portable,
wireless, 360 degree sound) called the "Jam" which is very popular; they
just released the "Jam plus" version of it.  If you buy two of them, you can
set buttons on each of them and turn them both on, and one of them will play
the left and the other will play the right, and sync to your device via
Bluetooth, and you have wireless stereo speakers!

I bought a pair ($45 each), because they have some other improvements, but
mostly because I can either take one with me for listening to books or take
both for listening to music.  Their sound is great, they have nice tactile
buttons for controlling their volume, functions, and pause or play (and they
will send a Bluetooth command back to your device causing it to pause).
They also have jacks for wired connections.

They are quite small, so easily portable, but not what you want if you want
to blast a party with loud base-thumping music. They're rechargeable with
mini USB jacks (with supplied cables for plugging into standard USB
devices), and they get 4 to 5 hours of play time from a charge.

Except for the price of two of them, they're just great for stereo music or
book listening, and their 360 degree sound really is quite nice from
anywhere in the room.