[tabi] a recommendation for headphones which still allow you to hear your environment

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:58:57 -0400

Hi all,

I've found another pair of headphones which still allow you to hear all of
your surrounding environmental sounds, and I think they're just great!

These are the AfterShokz Sportz open ear headphones, and at Amazon are $39
without a microphone, or $49 for a set with a mike (for use with phones

F8&psc=1> &psc=1

They hang on the tops of your ears, with a piece running around behind your
head, but they don't cover your ears. Instead, they have "transducers"
which rest on the bone just in front of your ear, and stimulate sound to
travel through this bone. With heavy base music you can turn it up enough
so you feel a slight "buzz" type of feeling.

These are great for audio such as speech, and very good for music; however,
their one down side is that this requires power to run the transducers, and
so they have a small matchbox sized box in the audio cable, which has the
on/off switch with a volume control, and a rechargible battery (with a micro
USB jack for a recharging cable). With speech they run at least 8 to 12
hours, but with base-heavy music reports are that you get 3 to 4 hours.

It's amazing how much of your environment you still hear since your ear
isn't covered (and of course this is influenced a lot by the volume you

The small box is about 18 inches away from the headset, and it has a clip
for your shirt to help hold it in place. They come with a nice zip up hard
case for carrying, although they're very light and you don't really need it.

These are much better than the first ones I found, which simply moved the
speaker far enough away from your ear to allow other sound to get through.