[tabi] a housing community with services for the blind

  • From: "Chip and Allie Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:53:35 -0400

I recently came across this posting on another email list, and thought I'd
make it available here for anyone who is interested:

Hi. My name is Robert Kingett. I'm writing to extend a housing resource

for the blind and visually impaired in Chicago, Illinois called Friedman

place, which is a nonprofit supportive living community for blind

adults... all services are optional however, and residents can elect to

have the ones that they need to have such as housekeeping, help with

laundry, etc.

I understand the tenacity of independence, it's a freedom that all blind

people should have by choice, and we do, even at Friedman place. By the

definition of independence, this place still lies up to fostering a

fulfilling lifestyle. Residents can work and attend school, as I do

both, and even obtain mobility training for the buses and trains here in

Chicago. Even though residents' cannot cook on a stove in their

apartment due to the size of the kitchen, the apartment has microwaves,

and you could bring your own if you can find one small enough to fit,

residents can opt to eat in the dining room or eat out, or do whatever

they please.

From my personal experience, a person who would be the best fit for

living at Friedman is someone who is motivated and has solid

self-advocacy skills and also a good, independent, direction of how they

want to spend their days... The staff are very client-centered and so

look to the residents for their own direction in how they want their

daily lives to go. The added security of staff available 24/7 also could

be a good fit but this is not a nursing home or anything of the like.

Every resident here is a wonderful addition to the family. We all look

after each other, and we all definitely have fun with each other as

well. It's that remarkable. I am hopeful that as I continue to let

others know about Friedman Place, more and more young adults will move

in, making it a very welcoming and appropriate place for this age group.

There are activities provided in the building, but I honestly see many

of these as being more geared towards the older residents in the

building though this could change in the future. There are many

opportunities in Chicago for education, volunteer work, employment, and

socializing. Chicago also has a very good public transportation system

for those comfortable with that mode of transportation, as well as a

solid Paratransit system. This is what makes it a good place for a blind

young adult to either put their roots down, or stay for a short time and

then move on to completely independent living or other arrangements if

they no longer feel Friedman is serving their needs.

Below is the FP website,

Feel free to pass thisinformation to, well, anyone who might be

interested. I remember my struggle as a high school student trying to

find the right resources. Also, I'd be more than happy to give you the

right emails and numbers to talk to. I don't work here at Friedman. I'm

just a really satisfied resident who wishes to spread the word about

this wonderful opportunity, to let other blind people know, especially

young people that they don't have to look anymore or worry about living

at home with their parents because a safe place is here.

Sincerely,

Robert Kingett.

www.friedmanplace.org <

http://www.friedmanplace.org