[tabi] Re: Zip Line at Tally museum is tough but blind friendly

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:08:43 -0400

Thanks Adam much for the write-up!

From: tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tabi-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Adam Gaffney
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:20 PM
To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tabi] Zip Line at Tally museum is tough but blind friendly

Hi folks, I went out to the Tallahassee museum also known to us long
time Tallahassee residents as the junior Museum a few weeks ago to try
the zip line.  When we first arrived, a staff was explaining the prices
for the 1 hour and 2 hour courses (15 to 30 bucks).  I asked if there
were any things I might have concern over as a blind person.  He said
that another blind person had already done the zip line and had no
trouble.  I wonder who that was?  In fact what impressed me was that the
entire staff all did the entire zip line after this blind folded so they
could experience the course as a blind person.  Anyway, the zip line was
lots of fun and a huge challenge and my body ached for about 3 days
after doing it.  I would love to do it again.  There are 11 zip lines in
the complete course and many challenges such as walking tight ropes,
swinging platforms rolling skate boards all while you are up in the
trees.  I felt completely safe with the good instruction on using the
equipment and harness.  The staff are excellent and I incurrage you to
go out and give it a try.  If you have any questions, drop me a note
back.  The only size requirement is that you must be at least 48 inches
tall and ware closed toe shoes.  Lots of kids and adults were climbing
and zipping.  The highest point is about 60 feet up in the trees.  Below
are a few links that you may be interested to learn a little more about

article about the course

a little YouTube video of it

A link to the museum page.  BTW back in 94 me and two other students
wrote the first web page for the museum for a class project and the
museum used it for their official web site for a number of years and you
could even read our names on about section as the creators of the
initial page.

http://tallahasseemuseum.org/ <http://tallahasseemuseum.org/>

"The people may be made to follow a path of action, but they may not be
made to understand it."
-        Confucius ca. 480 B.C.