[tabi] Zip Line at Tally museum is tough but blind friendly

  • From: "Adam Gaffney" <gaffney@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:19:32 -0400

Hi folks, I went out to the Tallahassee museum also known to us long time
Tallahassee residents as the junior Museum a few weeks ago to try the zip line.
 When we first arrived, a staff was explaining the prices for the 1 hour and 2
hour courses (15 to 30 bucks).  I asked if there were any things I might have
concern over as a blind person.  He said that another blind person had already
done the zip line and had no trouble.  I wonder who that was?  In fact what
impressed me was that the entire staff all did the entire zip line after this
blind folded so they could experience the course as a blind person.  Anyway,
the zip line was lots of fun and a huge challenge and my body ached for about 3
days after doing it.  I would love to do it again.  There are 11 zip lines in
the complete course and many challenges such as walking tight ropes, swinging
platforms rolling skate boards all while you are up in the trees.  I felt
completely safe with the good instruction on using the equipment and harness.
The staff are excellent and I incurrage you to go out and give it a try.  If
you have any questions, drop me a note back.  The only size requirement is that
you must be at least 48 inches tall and ware closed toe shoes.  Lots of kids
and adults were climbing and zipping.  The highest point is about 60 feet up in
the trees.  Below are a few links that you may be interested to learn a little
more about this.

article about the course

http://www.visittallahassee.com/blog/2012/jun/12/get-ready-thrill-tallahassee-museums-tree-tree-adv/

a little YouTube video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUQHDqNiQjI&feature=youtu.be

A link to the museum page.  BTW back in 94 me and two other students wrote the
first web page for the museum for a class project and the museum used it for
their official web site for a number of years and you could even read our names
on about section as the creators of the initial page.

http://tallahasseemuseum.org/

--
"The people may be made to follow a path of action, but they may not be
made to understand it."

-        Confucius ca. 480 B.C.