[tabi] Re: What's your beef about being blind

  • From: Governor Staten <govsta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 11:34:57 -0400

I have to agree with you Erica. I've been totally blind all my life. I know I miss so much where body language and gestures are concerned.

On 10/1/2014 8:19 AM, Erica wrote:
While I certainly miss the driving and the just plain seeing what the heck is around you... when I was asked what I missed/what was the hardest part of being V.I. by a parent who'd recently discovered her infant child had a vision problem, I found myself saying that while visual aids, electronic and otherwise, are wonderfully helpful, there is not one yet which helps with the interpersonal skilldeficits a vision problem carries with it: the inability to effectively/consistently make eye contact, the easy ability to recognize someone, the inability to "catch someone's eye" across the room, the difficulty in reading body language. Not to say that, once you've connected with someone, those gaps aren't bridged....
it's getting to that point that's often tricky.
Erica