[tabi] Re: What's your beef about being blind

  • From: Erica <ericamccaul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 08:19:47 -0400

While I certainly miss the driving and the just plain seeing what the heck is
around you...
when I was asked what I missed/what was the hardest part of being V.I. by a
parent who'd recently discovered her infant child had a vision problem, I found
myself saying that while visual aids, electronic and otherwise, are wonderfully
helpful, there is not one yet which helps with the interpersonal skill deficits
a vision problem carries with it: the inability to effectively/consistently
make eye contact, the easy ability to recognize someone, the inability to
"catch someone's eye" across the room, the difficulty in reading body language.
Not to say that, once you've connected with someone, those gaps aren't
it's getting to that point that's often tricky.