[tabi] Re: What's your beef about being blind

  • From: "Sila Miller" <Silamiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 20:18:22 -0400

Well, Mr. and Mrs. McCaul have nailed my #1 and #2 hardships. My close #3 has
to do with actually having just a bit of vision. Let me preface just a bit
before I explain. I and others have depended upon my tiny little bit of
precious vision and I consider myself beyond blessed to have the sight I have.
THANK YOU GOD!!! I will continue using it to help myself and others so long as
I have it.

Low vision, partially sighted folks aren't sure which camp they fall into. You
can't really "see" but you're not "blind". People understand total blindness
but it's difficult to explain to someone what I see much less for them to begin
to understand. It's dependent upon light, positioning of light, how tired you
are and so on. I used to actually feel like a fraud when I'd pull out my cane.

Regarding public transit, I still feel a bit guilty using Dial-A-Ride,
considering the tremendous overload. However, signs don't mean much to me and
if I've never been there, it may as well be in the next county as across a busy
parking lot or down the street. How many times has someone said, "over there"
or something like that and I've just gone along saying, yep, I totally
understand? My cell phone camera, the hand-held CCTV and just gaining self
assurance has helped me along but sometimes, I still find myself following the
path of least resistance. You know?

So yes, I’d love to drive, catch someone’s eye across a crowded room while
reading their lips or body language but, I’d also love for just 5 minutes to
have someone who totally doesn’t “get it” to live inside my head and “see” what
I do or don’t…