[tabi] Re: Ways to lower your energy bill - Sunday,

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:17:25 -0500

That's great Robert!

one other thing I can recommend highly for the winter,is an electric
mattress pad instead of an electric blanket.  It works just like an
electric blanket, except your laying on the warmth, instead of it being
over you.  your much warmer because of this, and it's very soothing to
lay on something that warm all night (and you turn down your heating of
course).  they all now come with automatic shutoff controls after ten
hours, so you never have to worry about leaving them on by accident.
they also come with extra deep pockets so they'll fit any mattress, and
can be ordered from any retailer like amazon or walmart; the standard
ones run around $75 for a queen with dual controls I think.

of course there are fancy ones, with separate temp zones for the feet,
middle, and head, and wireless remote controls.

One thing to mention about turning down your heat at night (pardon me if
I've said this before): if you have an older thermostat which is not
electronic, hooked up to a heat pump, if you turn up the heat in the
morning more than 2 degrees, it will automatically use the expensive
heat strips instead of the heat pump to bring you up to within 2 degrees
of the set temperature.  This costs a lot, and you'll benefit from
buying an electronic thermostat, which looks first to see if your heat
pump is warming the house adequately, before it engages the electric
heat strips.  This is known as a "rate of rise" heat pump thermostat.

Chip