[tabi] Video Description Survey

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 08:18:03 -0500

February 16, 2011
Video Description Survey 2011 - Text-to-Speech Preferences
IBM Research-Japan and WGBH's Carl and Ruth Shapiro Family National Center
for Accessible
Media (NCAM) are conducting a joint study on the applicability of speech
for video description.
This is the second survey we are conducting as part of this study to solicit
to the use of synthesized speech to deliver descriptions of informational
Web content.
This study will ask you to evaluate different options for text-to-speech
(TTS) description
placement, content, length and speed.
Though we are conducting this study, WGBH does not intend to substitute
speech for human voices on the programs and movies we currently describe.
we are focusing on the potential of using TTS technologies to increase the
amount of described Web-based media.
The survey, accessible via screen-reading software, should take 45-60
minutes. We
are eager to hear your opinions, and are grateful for your time and
The survey is posted at this site:
Mary Watkins
Director of Communications
  and Outreach
Media Access Group at WGBH
One Guest Street
Boston, MA  02135
617 300-3700
Follow the Media Access Group on Facebook and Twitter (@AccessWGBH)
WGBH Boston informs, inspires, and entertains millions through public
broadcasting, the Web, educational multimedia, and access services for
people with disabilities.