[tabi] Summary Notes from Conference Call Lynda Jones, Robert Miller, John Plescow, and Evelyn Worley

  • From: "Waterman, Brian" <Brian.Waterman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 12:25:33 +0000

On Friday, July 11, StarMetro staff conducted a conference call with Lynda
Jones, Robert Miller, John Plescow, and Evelyn Worley to discuss the fixed
route system. It was a very productive conversation that provides the
foundation for continued discussion and system improvement. Here is a summary
of the items discussed and next steps for us.

Item

Next Steps

How could we make stop placement for uniform?

StarMetro is working on a Bus Stop Policy to address the placement of bus stops
and bus stop features. This policy should be completed by the end of September
with implementation to start immediately after approval. The goal is to provide
a consistent look and placement for our stops. In the meantime, we will
re-inventory the system to identify and improve bus stops.

Improving frequency of service

StarMetro is revamping the route change process to increase public involvement
and transparency in decision-making. This policy is being worked on now and
should be completed by the end of the year. In the meantime, StarMetro staff
will continue to seek funding opportunities and partnerships to increase
frequencies on our routes.

Technology update

StarMetro and its vendor is working diligently to provide smartphone
applications and other programs to make it easier for our customers to use the
system. This is a high priority for us. StarMetro will start working next month
on redesigning its website to provide more information to our customers on our
system. Staff will work with you to make sure the new website is easy to
navigate for those with screen readers and related devices. As for
GoogleTransit, adding this feature is taking longer than expected. We ask for
your continued patience.

New Technologies to Improve Dial-a-Ride Services

To improve transportation services, StarMetro has installed Mobile Data
Terminals (MDTs) with GPS Mapping in Dial-a-Ride vehicles.  MDTs provide
real-time computer communication with vehicles allowing scheduling changes or
additions to be sent directly to vehicles. The GPS technology will allow
drivers to get to their destinations a lot faster.  MDTs allow for dispatch to
know the precise location of all drivers and to move passengers onto other
vehicles in the event that drivers are running behind. Prior to the
implementation of MDTs drivers had to manually input the time and odometer
mileages reflected at the time when customers were picked up and delivered.
This caused further delays.  Dispatch monitors all issues with scheduling and
can move trips around as needed.  This was not possible prior to the
implementation of MDTs. If drivers have any concerns about their schedules they
are required to contact dispatch or their supervisor so that changes could be
made to the trip manifest.

As with any new technology, testing and monitoring performance is critical to
success. This usually takes some time to ensure that any issues are well
documented and properly handled. As we gathering feedback on the performance of
this technology, StarMetro has reinstituted the use of a paper trip manifest to
ensure customers are not inconvenienced during the testing phase.

StarMetro has also begun the implementation of an Interactive Voice Response
(IVR) system, by which customers will receive telephone, email or text
reminders with information pertaining to their trip. This system will remind
customers the day before of a pending trip as well as an imminent arrival
notice when the vehicle is 20 minutes away. This technology is currently being
tested and it is anticipated to be fully operational this summer.

StarMetro has implemented Call Center Recording technology and this system is
currently being tested.  Incoming and outgoing communication between citizens
and call center and dispatch staff will be recorded to ensure citizens receive
the best customer service possible.

Soon thereafter, StarMetro will be implementing an on-line scheduling feature
enabling Dial-a-Ride customers to schedule, make changes or cancel trips online
(the same time windows will apply). Another feature will allow citizens to
leave comments or concerns on-line without the need to speak to a live person.
The later technology would assist with the tracking and handling of comments or
concerns, as well as providing prompt customer feedback. All these technologies
should be fully operational this summer.

Announcing Bus Stops

Our operators are instructed and frequently reminded of their requirement to
announce bus stops. If you do not hear a bus driver announcing bus stops, let
us know. In the meantime, we are currently putting a list of stops for the
operators to announce and to be consistent for each route, along with pursuing
funding opportunities for automatic stop announcers.

C.K. Steele Plaza - Braille Plates and Crosswalks

StarMetro staff will update braille plates at the Plaza and repaint crosswalks
to improve access and safety.

Where are we in adding the braille plates?

In late June, StarMetro placed an order for another 300+ braille plates for bus
stops. We should receive them by the end of July. All braille plates should be
up by the end of August. Once the bus stop policy is completed, we will
re-inventory stops and replace any missing braille plates. As for providing
customers the stop codes through the website, this will require some additional
thought on how to do this effectively. In the meantime, please email Brian
Waterman of any stop codes you would like and he will send them to you.

Thank you for supporting StarMetro. We will work on these items and provide you
an update every two weeks. If you have any other concerns, please let us know.

Brian S. Waterman, AICP
Transit Planning Manager
StarMetro
Office: (850) 891-5564<tel:%28850%29%20891-5564>
Cell: (850) 339-9969<tel:%28850%29%20339-9969>