[tabi] Re: StarMetro call for projects for the disabled

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:02:38 -0400

Hi all,

Today I received a call from Brian Waterman, a senior planner at
StarMetro.  He wished to answer any questions regarding the New Freedom
Program funding.  In our discussion he made the following points:

* Only non-profit agencies, and transportation providers (such as Big
Bend) can apply for these funds.  They must provide a 50% match of their
own for any funds they receive.

* Anyone who doesn't feel there's enough time left to get a proposal
together can call Brian Waterman at StarMetro, and he will arrange
assistance with preparing the project funding request (which needs only
to be a two page summary at this stage).

* The money should be available again next year for anyone who wants to
plan for a project.

* Yes, transportation providers were made aware of this funding several
weeks before the notice was published in the Democrat.  I asked, and
Brian agreed, for  local non-profits relating to disabilities to be
placed on the list of those to be notified of funding available for
disability-related projects.  He had no explanation as to why they had
not been included, nor why the requests for braille signage for bus
stops were not answered with an explanation of this program as one
possible way that could be achieved.

I hope this information helps answer any questions.

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator
Florida Public Service Commission