[tabi] Re: StarMetro Update

  • From: Chip Orange <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:33:45 +0000

Hi Robert and all,

I am sorry I couldn’t try to get to this before the holidays, but family
problems just made that impossible.

I had a phone call with Brian Waterman, to discuss your issues, and all of his
current status reports, efforts, information, etc. which he would like to
communicate with TABI.  Let me see if I can put down a good summary of what was
said:

·         StarMetro is becoming recognized nation-wide for the efforts to
better serve the visually impaired community.  It’s now to the point where they
are being contacted by other transit providers, to discuss all the various
needs and problems of visually impaired ridership.  Brian was very pleased
about this, he wants our local visually impaired community to know that they
have his sincere thanks for constantly pushing him to learn more, and to do
better.  He is again asking for any input at all, up through March 31st,
regarding route changes or any other changes StarMetro can make.  He and his
staff will begin at that time to analyze these suggestions for their next round
of upgrades to the system.

·         * Robert, he agrees with you (and who doesn’t), about making every
route have a 20 minute head way (why not a 10 minute head way), and service
every day until midnight!  The point here is that he can only provide using the
money that he has.  If we want better bus service, we need to convince others
(not just ourselves), and then everyone needs to convince the city and county
commissions to put in more money for public transit.

·         * He has tried several different approaches to get someone to create
all the electronic data Google needs to add us to Google Transit.  He doesn’t
disagree with how important it is, but so far their contractors have given them
systems they can use, and the public can use via the web and via phone apps,
but no one has given them a system which produces data which is acceptible to
Google, so Tallahassee cannot yet be added to the Google system.  He did try to
explain to me all of the various options he has pirsued, and is pirsuing, to
try and get these data files to be generated reliably, but I admit to having my
head spin from all the options he’s trying to deal with, while still having to
satisfy the needs of the public, FSU (and other special riderships).  The short
answer is that in the next quarter he expects to have something working which
will produce Google Transit data files acceptible to Google (they can already
produce them acceptible to Microsoft/Bing, so part of the confusion is then
over why aren’t they acceptible to Google)?

·         * We didn’t discuss the seats attached to bus signs, but I will point
out that I am one person, married to another, who cannot stand for long times
while waiting on a bus; therefore, I think the need for seats at bus stops is
another disabled group’s needs, which we will have to accommodate.  I don’t
immediately see why you won’t be able to approach the sign from two sides if
you need to read it, even if it has seats, but if you can’t, you could try to
ask the people sitting there which stop it is.  I’m going to guess a lot of the
time, you’ll know which stop it is, because that’s why you will be there.

I think that’s it.  Brian seems very interested in public input, so write to
him, or even ask him to meet with your group if you feel that’s necessary, but
I got the feeling he’s willing to do whatever he can for us, given the money he
has to work with.  This last phrase is the key here, we have to get more money
if we want more service, talking buses, or whatever.  The same is true for
dial-a-ride issues.

StarMetro did install the call recording system.  They deserve a thanks for
achieving an important request.  I’m sure it cost quite a bit of money, so next
time, if StarMetro isn’t able to give us something we ask for, it may be more
helpful if we go to the city commission to explain what it is, and ask them to
allocate money for it.

In the mean time, we are getting regular progress reports from StarMetro,
getting many things done which we ask for, and we’ve got a willing ear for any
of our requests.  This is much more than we’ve had in the past, and I’m
appreciative of it.

Hth,

Computer Systems Analyst
850-413-6314