[tabi] Re: Pedestrian Safety and Acquiring the Best Skills

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:22:48 -0400

Hi Darla,

What does " adventitiously blind" mean?

I think you're quite correct about how helpful it is in understanding a
complex physical arrangement, if you've ever seen it.

I will say though, to balance ability, is my perception that someone
blind since birth is usually more self-confident, especially about
independent travel, than someone who say was an adult when they lost
their vision, and it wasn't that long ago for them (say 10 years or
less).

Chip

------------------------------

Chip Orange
Database Administrator
Florida Public Service Commission

Chip.Orange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Behalf
>Of Darla J. Rogers
>Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 3:42 PM
>To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [tabi] Pedestrian Safety and Acquiring the Best Skills
>

>Dear Lynn,
>
>Unless they lose it, I do believe one who is adventitiously blind, has
some
>advantages in that they have actually "seen" some of the complex
>intersection designs; various kinds of lanes, etc.
>
>For those of us who were born blind, especially totally blind, these
sorts
>of things can be more difficult to visualize, and certain conditions
seem to
>make this more challenging for some.
>Darla

Tallahassee all