[tabi] POST on behalf of Lynda Jones re Braille placards

  • From: Erica <ericamccaul@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

 For anyone who wants to know, members of TCB and I (Lynda Jones) specifically
made the decision to have the Braille on the bus stop placards written
vertically. First, it made the Braille compliant with the ADA and federal DOT
standards. This was after I corresponded several times with Marsha Maas in
Washington. More importantly it is easier to read the skinny sign by sticking
your arm straight out and bringing your hand/fingers straight down the number,
reading it in context in one movement. In the past two years I've read several
samples in this way and found it much more comfortable to my hand and
contextually easier to grasp than the 700 samples I read the way Mr. Orange
described in his comments, bending your wrist backward to read one number at a
time. In fact, the sign is so skinny some of the numbers such as a 5 and 9
don't fit very well in the space.
?
Let's just be happy that finally blind riders can have the same information on
the pole as sighted riders, and that members of the community, John Plescow,
especially have been willing to work at this for years!
?