[tabi] Re: Nova Plan

  • From: "Easy Talk" <easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:32:14 -0400

Hi all,

Indeed this is good news if the audible signals are installed correctly.  I
will be the first to say the city has been wonderful about installing audible
signals.  I would like to say that the city needs to make sure that what they
install are accessible and let's say findable.  I would insist that the signal
buttons should have locater beeps and tactile indicators so people can find
them.  I have seen some good audible crossings and some that aren't so good.
My main concerns would be that the city work with the Blind and wheelchair
group to insure at least these crossings be totally accessible and as far as I
know the Polaris system is the best and currently this is not the system the
city uses because they cost more.

Also as far as I know there isn't a standard for audible signals by the state
of Florida or the Federal government.  I think it is also important to work
closely with the city to make sure if a particular intersection is chosen as a
transfer point that it is absolutely safe and some may require a pedestrian
cross over  .  For those people in wheelchairs, I just don't see the new system
being feasible.

Beyond the disability issue, I still don't think the majority of people who
work will use the bus if they have to walk a mile to and from the bus
especially in bad weather.  I have always been in favor of a decentralized
system but if you don't go to the places where people live, for the most part
the buses will be empty.  As star metro states, they will not spend much more
money to increase service but if you truly increase service you spend moor
money.  You can't double services with out it costing money and where the
citizens are getting short changed is on the service coverage area.

Robert