[tabi] New Look: Blind Mom Gets Prosthetic Face

  • From: "Lynn Evans" <evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <"Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@freelists.org>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:13:13 -0400

I wanted to share this because I thought it was a wonderful story.
Prosthetic Face, Complete with Mascara
The doctors also ensured Steltz's face came complete with makeup: They baked
eyeliner, eye shadow and mascara directly into the mask and poked eyelashes
into the silicon with tweezers. They took care to ensure the results were as
real as possible.

Getting the eyes down was of monumental importance, Over said.

"If you drew a clock around the colored portion of the eye ... is that little
glint in the same position in the left as it is on the right?" he asked.

Steltz's procedure cost nearly $80,000, according to Dierks, but her health
insurance refused to cover the cost, saying hers was an aesthetic procedure.

"This is certainly not a veneer on a front tooth," Over said. "It's just as
much of a medical necessity as an arm or a leg."

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/chrissy-steltz-blinded-gunshot-prosthetic-face/story?id=11162243&page=3