[tabi] Re: NOVA experiences

  • From: "Adam Gaffney" <gaffney@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 12:31:41 -0400

So far I have taken the bus to and from work about 7 times and the duration for
me is about an hour which is the same as the old system.  However, my trip is
much more uncomfortable.  Instead of walking two blocks to the bus stop that
was one of the 5 deciding factors in my house purchase 11 years ago, I now have
to walk over a half mile and cross a very busy Park av.  I then ride to the
plaza and walk to the Turlington building and wonder what new construction
obstacles I will run into along Gaines Street.  Needless to say by the time I
get to work I'm frustrated and covered in sweat.  I might be able to ride more
and walk less but would have to transfer 3 times and still walk a long distance
from my house.

Yesterday I wanted to go to Banyan Bay apartments off Miccosukee from work.  I
called star metro to ask for directions on this rout and spoke with a friendly
person.  I would have had to transfer 3 times to get there from work.  I
decided not to try it but changed my mind after walking from work to the plaza.
 I found out from the person working the ticket booth that I could take the
Dogwood route out to Thomasville road and transfer to the San Louis.  I figured
one transfer was not too bad.  I then enquired how I would find the bus stop at
my transfer point and was told "the driver will help you".  So, the driver did
help by giving me some pretty simple directions and I followed them but did not
find the familiar feeling busstop pole.  Fortunately there were lots of people
around and a nice guy who was jogging helped me find the stop.  The driver must
have forgot to tell me the stop was around another corner.  I did get to my
destination and it took an hour and 45 minutes.

I think that us blind riders are going to find it a challenge figuring out all
the details of finding their way at each transfer point.  Hopefully I will be
on dial-a-ride soon but will miss the old bus system that sort of made a little
sense for Tallahassee that is shaped like a wheel with cap circle going around
the town and the hub in the center of town.  I think modifying the old design
with a few more places to transfer and 2 or 3 routes running along the main
roads in Tally would have made a bit more sense.  I hope Nova 2010 will change
and improve cause I don't find it very practical to use IMO.
"The people may be made to follow a path of action, but they may not be
made to understand it."

-        Confucius ca. 480 B.C.