[tabi] Letter to the Editor from Bill Hebrock (runs the Vision Summit) re: Lighthouse ransacked

  • From: Lighthouse of the Big Bend <lighthousebigbend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:07:31 -0400

Lighthouse of the Big Bend ransacked

Re: "Night vision goggles stolen from agency for the blind," (news article,
Oct. 14).

When someone we know becomes a crime victim, we feel their pain and offer
our help and assistance. When the crime victim is a well-respected
charitable organization that exists solely to help others in need, then the
crime is more painful and our offers of help should be more substantial.

Lighthouse of the Big Bend (LBB) provides hands-on support services to
people with low vision and blindness in the Big Bend region. Visually
impaired and blind people of all ages, from blind babies and visually
impaired students to low vision workers and seniors with age-related vision
loss, depend on LBB's certified professionals and volunteers to manage their
disability while maintaining productive lives. Imagine the difficulties of
being blind, then imagine if there was not a nonprofit like Lighthouse of
the Big Bend to offer training, education, independent living skills, and so
much more that you needed to figure out!

Normally, this week is a hectic, critical week for LBB as they prepare for
this weekend's Dining in the Dark dinner. It's their big annual fundraiser
and provides critical money to maintain their operations.

Sadly, this is also the week someone decided to break-in, trash the place,
steal office items, and leave behind a broken door and more than a few
broken hearts.

I know my heart is broken, at least for a brief time. Tonight, however, my
wife and I will sit down, write a brief note to LBB's executive director and
our friend, Barbara Ross, and enclose a small contribution to help LBB
continue helping all the people who were victimized this week — the
thousands of people here in the Big Bend who count on LBB's daily services.

If you want to join my wife and me in this gesture of support, please write
Barbara Ross at Lighthouse of the Big Bend, 1286 Cedar Center Dr.,
Tallahassee 32301. Its Web site is: www.firesight.org.

BILL J. HEBROCK

BillHebrock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--