[tabi] July 1st Starts New Era in Described Programming

  • From: "Sila Miller" <silam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fcb-l@xxxxxxx>, <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 07:43:05 -0400

While I know our TVs aren't always accessible, I think it's very important to
celebrate the hard work that got us to this point. God bless the hard working
advocates who kept on!!! See below and enjoy!!!
Sila

ALERT!--Coming Soon to a TV Near You!
July 1st Starts New Era in Described Programming:
See If Your Favorite Shows are on the List!
For further information, contact:
Mark Richert, Esq.
Director, Public Policy, AFB
(202) 469-6833
MRichert@xxxxxxx

mailto:mrichert@xxxxxxx

Beginning Sunday, July 1, the landmark provisions of the Twenty-First Century
Communications
and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA) requiring the nation's leading networks to
provide
a combined total of at least 450 hours of described video programming per
calendar
quarter will come to life. Consumers are encouraged to begin asking their local
broadcast
stations and cable providers about accessing the described programming to be
provided.
In addition, given that information about which programs are to be described and
the means for accessing description can sometimes be difficult to obtain, the
Federal
Communications Commission
(FCC) has recently launched a web resource to help consumers navigate program
choices,
the technical means for accessing description via digital TV and/or cable set
top
box, and the FCC's complaint process for consumers to use to resolve network,
station,
or cable provider failure to put described programming in consumers' hands.
Visit
the FCC's web resource at:
http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/video-description
An independent but more memorable web address can also be used to be directed to
the FCC's site; this more user friendly address is:
http://www.VideoDescription.info
Congratulations to the many advocates and organizations who have labored so long
for this historic expantion of TV programming accessibility. Our community's
achievement
in this area is an integral part of our ongoing effort to ensure that people
with
vision loss of all ages can enjoy full participation in American life.
JOEL SNYDER
Director, Audio Description Project
American Council of the Blind
jsnyder@xxxxxxx