[tabi] Ice Cream Fundraiser SUCCESS!Re: Re: Bruster's ice cream tomorrow (7/22) 7-9pm Re: radio show

  • From: Lighthouse of the Big Bend <lighthousebigbend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:20:27 -0400

Ice Cream Fundraiser SUCCESS!
A huge THANK YOU to everyone who came out last night to Brusters
(7/22) and supported the Lighthouse Summer Transition Program teens
who served ice cream! They made $560, mostly from your tips. They are
going to have a great time in St. Augustine next week, and are even
donating $150 of the money they raised to the Early Intervention
program to help the children younger than themselves. WCTV and WTXL
covered the event, plus the Democrat came and is doing a more in depth
story on the program. Below is the blurb online at WCTV.

Thanks again, everyone! - Barbara

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/51444252.html

Visually Impaired Students Serve Up A Summer Treat

Reporter: Liza Park
Email Address: liza.park@xxxxxxx

July is national ice cream month... and it's a perfect time to not
only eat the icy treat... but serve it too.

That's what several blind and visually impaired teens with the
Lighthouse of the Big Bend were doing Wednesday night. (7-22-09)

The students are raising money with the help of Bruster's Ice Cream shop.

They're saving up for a trip with the Lighthouse Summer Transition
Program which teaches them independent living and career skills...like
having a job in the food service industry.

"It also shows everyone in the world that Hey we may be visually
impaired, we may be blind but we can still do this," says Katelyn
Arrington, a visually impaired Lighthouse student.

The students do mock job interviews, a community service project and
learn about computer technologies.