[tabi] Re: I have an idea for TCB, NFB, and the Lighthouse

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:52:52 -0500

Hi Daniel,

I know this can be done, because it was done back in the 80's, by what
is now known as the Lighthouse (then it was Independence for the Blind).

The interest rate was only 2 percent, back in the days when we had
double digit prime rates, this was equivalent to interest free.  Many
were not able to pay back their loans, and no one was prosecuted for it.
at that time the state was providing the initial funding, but they did
not choose to continue funding the loan fund.

Daniel, if there are grants, I think it likely non-profits such as FAAST
would be using them already.