[tabi] Re: I have an idea for TCB, NFB, and the Lighthouse

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:50:45 -0500

Darla,

You have no reason for saying "donations won't do it".

I think what won't do it is saying "we won't do it".  you never know about
something until you try; and this is something I believe is worth trying.

look at organizations like the Lions: they *give* away tons of money every
year, all funded by what??? donations.

I was only proposing to offer some what amounts to an insignificantly small
gift of the interest; it's value is more in the psychological boost it will
give them to have the courage and the belief that they can meet their
obligations, and can obtain something they want and need.  the cost to them,
or to the fund, would be minimal, and I believe we could raise it from
donations; I'm certainly willing to try, and to put in my own money.

So tell me Darla, do we have your 100% support if we charge interest?
you'll get behind it, vote for it, help us fund raise, all because of the
interest?

There are many many ways to help the blind; what I see most often lately are
efforts to help the blind as a group.  what I'm proposing is to help
individuals, especially the ones who need it the most; the blind who are
also the poorest of us.

I didn't say this in the original proposal, but I'd like to see a financial
test applied to the applicants, but not one proving they *can* pay, but one
proving they cannot!  those are the people who need an interest-free loan
the most.  so how about considering, along with everything else, a cap on
household income (or half the household income when it's two people, each
with income).  maybe $20?  I'm saying if you make more than that, you can't
get an interest-free loan, but the people implementing this can pick their
own number if they don't like it.  I'm just pointing out that perhaps people
who are employed, or who are drawing large SSDI and/or retirement checks
really shouldn't be using this kind of fund.

In summary, I'm not saying anyone could do this for free, I'm saying that
the costs are worth us bearing because this is important.

thanks for everyone reading through all this, and giving it your
consideration.

Chip

  _____