[tabi] Fwd: USABA Seeks Youth Judo, Track/Field Athletes (Ages 12-19)

  • From: Lighthouse of the Big Bend <lighthousebigbend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 11:02:04 -0400

In case you know someone…

From: Mark Lucas [mailto:mlucas@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:08 PM
Subject: USABA Seeks Judo, Track/Field Athletes (Ages 12-19) for 2011
IBSA World Youth and Student Championships

Dear Friend of USABA, Teachers, Professionals, Parents, Students etc. in FL,

We need your help with getting the word out on an outstanding
opportunity for young athletes.  This year (12-17 July) the United
States Association of Blind Athletes will host the International Blind
Sports Federation World Youth and Student Championships in Colorado
Springs.  Athletes ages 12-19 who are blind/visually impaired (B1-B3)
from over 20 countries will compete in Track and Field, Judo and
Goalball.  In past years, this has been not only an outstanding sports
opportunity, but also a once-in-a lifetime opportunity for athletes to
meet their contemporaries from around the world.  This event has been
the catalyst for many athletes to continue on in sports to compete on
collegiate, national and Paralympic sports programs.

This event isn’t a sports education camp-type of program—it is an
international competition for up and coming youth athletes—but our
experience has been that there are many blind and visually impaired
youth in the United States who are competing in sports programs in
your schools or programs who would excel in this competition.

Our challenge is—and this is where we need your help—is getting the
word out about this opportunity.  Although we reach out to athletes
through our website and membership database, there are many young
outstanding athletes in your schools, who participate programs in your
agencies, or that you may be aware of through other means that we are
still trying to reach.

Can you help us share the word about this opportunity by sharing this
information with athletes, parents, coaches, teachers,
recreation/sports program managers or anyone else who can help us get
the word out?

We’ve had many takers for goalball and because it’s a team sport,
limited to 1 boy’s and 1 girl’s team, numbers were limited and
required us to conduct a separate selection process.  However, we are
still looking for track and field athletes and judo athletes for this
competition.  Unfortunately, this year there was enough international
interest for us to be able to provide a swimming competition.  I’ve
attached a flyer to this email that provides a little more information
about the competition and lists sports contact points.  If you have
questions or are looking for additional information, please don’t
hesitate to call me or send me an email.  I

Although we’re looking for track/field and judo athletes for this
specific competition, we’re always looking for athletes who may be
interested in our other sports programs as well including, swimming,
tandem cycling, goalball, powerlifting.

We thank you in advance in helping us get the word out.!

Sports Director

United States Association of Blind Athletes

Email: jpotts@xxxxxxxxx

Phone: 719-534-3805

Web:  www.usaba.org