[tabi] Fwd: Braille Signage Song

  • From: Lighthouse of the Big Bend <lighthousebigbend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tabi <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:08:57 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David Andrews <dandrews@xxxxxxxx

We are excited to announce the debut of a song about braille called

"Brailling Signs Is Cool To Do." Hadley School for the Blind

instructor, Linn Sorge and friend and former ambassador to the

school, Becky Williams, wrote the lyrics to the song. Musicians Anne

Hills, David Roth and Chip Kramer recorded the song and brought it to life.

To learn more about the story of this special song and to listen to

it, please visit: http://www.hadley.edu/braillesong

For a free MP3 file of this song, available for a limited time,

email sorge@xxxxxxxxxx directly with "Brailling Signs Song" in the

subject line. If you are a parent of a visually impaired child, an

adult braille user, or a blindness professional and want to let us

know that, feel free to add it to your email! We'd love to know how

you will be using the song.

We invite you to share the link to the song on the Hadley Web site:

http://www.hadley.edu/braillesong. We are unable to grant permission

to post the song itself on another Web site, offer streaming, or

share copies. We are bound by a licensing agreement with EMI Records

and Universal Music. While Hadley is providing you the opportunity

for a copy of the song at no charge, we are paying a small fee for

each download, so we must keep accurate count. So, again, we

encourage you to go to the web page and check it out--give the song

a listen and learn why it came into being.

"Brailling Signs Is Cool to Do" Song

 <http://www.hadley.edu/resources_list_detail.asp?resourceid=33#hat#hat>
Lyrics by Becky Williams and Linn Sorge

(parody on "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" 1962, Neil Sedaka)

Dot dot dot 1, 2 3 4 5, 6
Dot dot dot 1, 2 3 4 5, 6
Dot dot dot 1, 2 3 4 5, 6
Brailling signs is cool to do!

Verse 1:
I need to find Room 109,
But this building has no braille signs.
We should give these folks a clue
That brailling signs is cool to do.

Verse 2:
Here's a machine. What does it sell?
There's no braille here so I can't tell.
We want signs we can read too.
So brailling signs is cool to do!

Bridge:
You know it's up to us to spread the news
'Cause no one wants the No Braille Blues.
Don't say that it costs too much,
When we can read the signs we need in braille with just a simple touch.

Verse 3:
The elevator stopped, but on which floor?
Now I need to find the restroom door.
Spread the word. You know it's true
That brailling signs is cool to do!

Bridge Repeated:
You know it's up to us to spread the news
'Cause no one wants the No Braille Blues.
Don't say that it costs too much,
When we can read the signs we need in braille with just a simple touch.

Verse 4:
ATM's are made for me and you,
So why's the braille one in the bank's drive through
Let's keep on pushin'! There are still too few,
And brailling signs is cool to do!

Dot dot dot 1, 2 3 4 5, 6
Dot dot dot 1, 2 3 4 5, 6

How Did This Song Come Into Being?
By Linn Sorge, Hadley Instructor

Becky Williams has always enjoyed writing new lyrics to well-known melodies.
Her creative work sends forth messages to help to bring about positive
change as they lift people up, and bring smiles along the way.

I met Becky when she moved to Wisconsin in 1960. We've enjoyed a lifelong
friendship with music as an integral part of it. We would toss ideas back
and forth about potential songs and lyrics to create just the right song to
help a specific cause or brighten someone's day.

Becky became an ambassador for The Hadley School for the Blind as part of
her employment at the Badger Association for the Blind in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin. Since that time, she has been coping with the challenges of
cancer recurrence. I asked her a few months ago if she had any kind of
"Make-A-Wish" ideas. The song on this page is one of them. She said it would
be so meaningful to her if a professional musician could someday sing and
record one of her songs.

Two superb singer/song writers, Anne Hills and David Roth, came immediately
to my mind. They are my dear friends and have become good friends of The
Hadley School for the Blind. They were the performers during all four
benefit folk concerts for the school called "Spring from Darkness Into
Light." I wrote and told them of Becky's wish and the importance of the
message within the song. That is all that was needed. I soon had their
recording in my email box. They worked with a long-time friend of David's,
Chip Kramer, who added his skill, musicianship, and music studio to help the
wish become a reality. All efforts offered by the three of them to bring
this musical braille project to our Web site were given with enthusiastic
caring and volunteer time.

The song was originally sung by Neil Sedaka in the early 1960s as "Breaking
Up Is Hard To Do." Our school has obtained permission from EMI Records and
Universal Music to use the original melody and chords in combination with
the new lyrics. We hope you enjoy this new version sung by Anne and David.
Please help us to promote its message of universal braille access which is
so vital to all of us here at the Hadley School. We've been teaching braille
to students since 1920!

Becky is currently in hospice care. With many people working together, we
have now brought one of her wishes here to our Web site to help lift her
spirits up.

UPDATE: Becky Williams is now at peace. At the time of her passing, November
7, 2011, 712 requests for her song had come from around the world.

If you want to learn more about Anne or David and their music, check out the
Web sites listed below:

Anne and David on stage at our 2010 Spring From Darkness Into Light benefit
concert

www.Annehills.com

www.davidrothmusic.com

For a free MP3 file of this song, available for a limited time, email
sorge@xxxxxxxxxx directly with "Brailling Signs Song" in the subject line.
If you are a parent of a visually impaired child, an adult braille user, or
a blindness professional and want to let us know that, feel free to add it
to your email! We'd love to know how you will be using the song.

We invite you to share the link to the song on the Hadley Web site:
http://www.hadley.edu/braillesong. We are unable to grant permission to post
it on another Web site, offer streaming, or share copies. We are bound by a
licensing agreement with EMI Records and Universal Music. While Hadley is
providing you a copy of the song at no charge, we are paying a small fee for
each download, so we must keep accurate count.

(Submitted by Linn Sorge <http://www.hadley.edu/Faculty.asp#ls> ; Last
updated: Nov 9, 2011)

--
Lighthouse of the Big Bend