[tabi] Re: Fw: your experiences with Dial A Ride

  • From: "Norine Labitzke" <norine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 21:58:24 -0400

Most of your know, I am very pro Dial-A-Ride, and perhaps overly tolerant,
positive, and supportive of Dial-A-Ride,, but even my patience is about to run
out.  As has been said before, it is not the drivers fault – they are severely
overscheduled.

My experiences over the past few months that have been very frustrating are as
follows:  #1 calling the dispatcher and being lied to, and especially and often
by one whose first name begins with “T” – I can understand they are busy; I
would be annoyed if told I don’t have time to deal with your problem right now,
 however, I could  tolerate that,  but I extremely resent being lied to,– one
dispatcher does this repeatedly – I will call the 30 mins after my scheduled
pick up, be put on a long, long hold, then told the driver will be there in 3-5
minutes, which does not happen;  when the driver comes they tell me, they were
never contacted.   Thus I am too late for my appointment or class.   In some
situations, had I known the schedule and how late I would be, I would have
cancelled or made other arrangements.  I would support a computerized or
automated system that riders could access to determine the approximate times of
our rides – it might not be what we want to hear but it would be objective and
honest.  Also, why can’t riders have the same courtesy and notifications if
their scheduled times will be late, and given the option to make other
arrangements and not charged with a “No show”..

  I teach a Bible Study class at my church at 4:30 on Wednesdays  and have a
standing 3:15 pick up, which certainly should assure I am not late,  but three
times in a row recently I was late.  How early do I have to schedule to be
sure?

The same is true if I call and say” I am ready early, would you please notify
my driver?”  I am assured that will happen.  However, when the driver comes,
usually late, they say they were never notified and their schedule would have
been much easier and more manageable if they had been told this – this usually
occurs for me in the middle of the day, when things are slower.

Lately, I have had to cancel pick ups when it is evident they cannot get me to
my work,   class, or destination on time.  I have been told these trips are
cancelled –  God forbid I get a notice my riding privileges have been suspended
because of too many  “no shows”    Another similar problem, which happened
today, is that once I got on the bus I dialed dispatch and was put on hold for
a long time, then disconnected.  I asked my driver to call for me to cancel a
pick up at 12:15 – it was now about 12:16 after I had been on hold for several
minutes.  The driver was able to get through to dispatch much quicker than I
could and I think and hope this will be ok.   Recently I have tried to cancel
about an hour and ten minutes before my scheduled trip but been put on a long
hold, usually been disconnected and had to call back,  thus making it late by
one or a few minutes.  I always explain this and am told ok;  I hope and pray I
do not get a notice otherwise.

It would be nice if cancellations could be within thirty minutes, or less,
rather than an hour.  It would make the drivers schedule easier,  and often, a
rider such as myself, does not know how long I will  have to run over at work,
or that someone will offer me a ride.  At least, when at work, could we cancel
or delay such as is allowed at a doctor’s appointment?

The people in scheduling are usually very reliable, and one who is very good,
also seems to have a control problem.  I requested to change a standing ride to
and from work to be picked up at 12:15 rather than 12:45.  I was told, after a
few days of “we have to talk with Quintas to get permission to change” to  I
could not change a standing ride.  This seems quite strange as it seems to
override my employers ability to change my schedule.   Does Dial A Ride have a
policy on standing rides for work, and standing rides in g eneral?  I would
like to know this and all their policies.

I could support a priority of scheduling for medical, school,  and work as
number 1 priorities with a one hour tolerance strictly accounted for and
enforced.  It would seem those of us who are using the system because of age,
health, and other reasons not our own fault should have a number 2 priority for
rides no matter where or why  with perhaps a 75 -90 minute tolerance;  anyone
using this service who does not fall in this category should be subjected to
and able to live with a #3 priority of a 2 hour+  tolerance.

I continue to appreciate and support Dial-A-Ride and their caring hard working
employees.  Changes need to be made.  I did not know that persons with DUIs
could affect schedules and agree this does not seem fair – if anything, it
would seem they are the ones who should have to schedule with a 2 hour + leeway
for work or other appointments.  I am sorry for them, but their need to ride
comes from their own choices where many of us ride because of circumstances
beyond our control and are trying our best to maintain employment, pay taxes,
maintain or improve our health and ability to be good citizens doing volunteer
work, etc.

Hopefully this helps with what you are doing.  Probably after sleeping on this,
I will  have many more situations and examples to share, but  probably  will
not, because this and the others who have responded have already addressed them.

Thanks for taking this on and for all  you do Norine

From: Rosser, Andrea <mailto:Andrea.Rosser@xxxxxxxxxx>