[tabi] Re: Fw: starmetro info

  • From: ericamccaul@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:38:36 -0400

Robert & others,
Erica here. I passed this info to Sila. I got if from Owen, who obtained it from StarMetro directly. And, yes, seniors, disabled, and school-age children all pay 60 cents. I'm pretty sure-- but not positive-- that when a discounted fare is deposited, the driver has to push a key-- presumably one of these 3 categories-- to have the fare box accept it as a valid fare.
These figures and percentages are from 2008.
Interestingly, also from 2008, 29,979 people boarded at Governor's Square Mall; that's over 85 people per day. There were about 25,000 people boarding at Tallahassee Mall. There still seems to be no concession from StarMetro on going into the malls. The argument for Tallahassee Mall, of course, is that since it is already in recievership (close to being bankrupt), why bother? This is NOT, however, a valid argument, of course, for Governor's Square. Another tidbit: In 2008, the malls were the only 2 stops among the top 20 (most boardings) which were not campus stops (FSU, FAMU, and TCC-- don't recall the order). So, 1) this jives with the 76% of riders being students figure, and 2) makes it all the more ridiculous that they are refusing to go into the malls! The manager at Gov. Square said he is totally in favor of the buses continuing to come into "his" mall... StarMetro is going to try to make the mall put up any money that would be needed for "improvements" to make the parking lot traverse safe.