[tabi] Fw: [leadership] Fwd: Captcha for the Blind

  • From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 08:12:56 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Sheila Styron
To: leadership@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 9:09 PM
Subject: [leadership] Fwd: Captcha for the Blind

Hello, all,

Last week on my way to Oregon I met a gentleman who works for Google and
expressed interest in our capcha difficulties. he subsequently sent me the
below email which I originally sent to this list from my work email which is
not subscribed. Anyhow, here is Chris's message, and I have written to him with
an apology for not thanking him sooner, as I was waiting to see if any of you
had input you would like me to pass along.  I am doing all this while flying
which I still can't get over.

Best, Sheila
816-896-6552

Begin forwarded message:

From: Sheila Styron <SStyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 23, 2013, 6:03:45 PM PDT
To: Sheila Styron <sheilastyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fwd: Captcha for the Blind

Best, Sheila
816-896-6552

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Smith <chrissm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 16, 2013, 10:41:59 AM PDT
To: <sstyron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Captcha for the Blind

Sheila,

It was a real pleasure meeting you yesterday on our flight to Las Vegas.  I
also enjoyed the company of your dog, Gretchie.

Thanks for the awesome feedback regarding the audio captcha's.  I wanted to
give you a quick update.  I sent an email to the Google team that handles this
and I will have you know that they are taking this seriously.  Within 30 mins
of my email, I have received 5 different responses.  So far, they are
considering new ideas to make this a better experience for the blind.  For
example, they are considering using sounds like a animal sound or a bell and
have the blind identify types of sounds instead.  Or use a series of beeps and
count them.   Also, they are looking into having a phone call for security
purposes, etc.  I am not for sure on the final decision other than they are
making the adjustments.  Can't promise when, but its in the works.

Either way, I wanted you to know that action has been taken.  Also, I have to
be honest it gave my goose bumps to know I work for a company that takes every
customer concern seriously and that you & I may have just changed how the blind
interact with Google products.

You have inspired me as well.  Glad I got to know you.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Oregon.

Warmest regards,

Chris Smith |  Technical Program Manager-MDU |  (650) 762-6499  |
chrissm@xxxxxxxxxx