[tabi] Fw: injustice for the blind

  • From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 14:53:22 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Maddox
To: Easy Talk
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 2:31 PM
Subject: Re: injustice for the blind

Mr. Miller,

Thank you for contacting my office. I am very sorry for the difficulties you
have had as a result of this accident; however, I have no authority over the
Traffic Court, its employees, or any Court proceedings.

I suggest you contact the Chief Judge for this judicial circuit to register
your concerns.

Nick Maddox

Nick Maddox
Leon County Commissioner -At Large, Seat 2
301 South Monroe Street, 5th Floor
Tallahassee, Florida  32301

"People Focused. Performance Driven"

Please note that under Florida's Public Records laws, most written
communications to or from county staff or officials regarding county business
are public records available to the public and media upon request.  Your e-mail
communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.

>>> "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 1/19/2014 11:54 AM >>>

Dear commissioner
I hope you will please take the time to read the below information and assist
me in having Mr. Garry Roberts relieved of his duties.  This is a deliberate
and blatent disregard for up holding the law which is his job.

Thanks for your time

Robert Miller

Case #2013 TR 037367

Citation # 5067GYO or 0

Defendant: Wesley Truesdell

Dear Hearing Officer Roberts:

I am writing to express my dismay at your decision to dismiss charges in the
above referenced case.  Your decision has set a precedence that has caused a
major injustice to blind citizens of Florida.

If you will recall, I ask you to please read the White Cane Safety law before
making your decision. Apparently, you did not do this, or you do not care about
the safety of blind pedestrians, or you have no regard for the importance of
the White Cane Safety law.  It is also apparent that you, as most sighted
individuals aren't aware of the many blind people that have been struck by
vehicles in the state of Florida and in many cases, the drivers leave the
scene.  Can you give me any kind of justification for your decision after
reading the White Cane Safety law?  Based on the testimony given at the hearing
and the White Cane Safety law, I can't think of any logical reason for your
decision and question your ability to be a fair Hearing Officer who is supposed
to uphold the laws of Florida.

It is my intent to contact the local press and the Chief of TPD to make them
aware of the injustice you are responsible for.

I hope you will take the time to read the information below. Perhaps then maybe
the next time a blind person is hit by a vehicle, you might be able to make a
reasonable and informed decision that supports Florida law.  Can you show me
anything in the White Cane Safety law that justifies your decision?

I believe that Officer Thompson should be reprimanded for not showing up for
the hearing. It also amazes me that you are a Traffic Hearing Officer who is
totally unaware of the vehicle and pedestrian problem in Tallahassee and Leon
County.  Within the last 9 months, there was an article in the Tallahassee
Democrat that stated between 2010 and 2012, over 187 pedestrians were struck on
Tennessee Street near FSU.  Since I was hit in August, over 8 other pedestrians
have been struck, causing serious injury and in some cases, death.  If you
continue to render decisions as you did in this case, the situation will only
get worse.

Shame on you!

Robert Miller

Ref: Aug 03 2013 when I got hit by a 18 wheeler at a audible traffic light,
The defendant, Wesley Truesdell challenged the charge of violating the white
law and Judge Roberts dismissed the charges against the driver.  The police
didn't show up for the hearing.  I thought the judge was going to throw out the
since the officer kept saying I walked in to the truck.  I ask the judge to
read the law before making his decision.  Apparently the law isn't worth the
it is written on.
fcb-l mailing list

Good morning All,
As many may recall, Robert was struck by a semi truck while crossing a street
in Tallahassee, in August. The driver, doubtless, trying to save his commercial
license contested the charge and a non-jury trial was set for January 15

Three witnesses (including Robert BUT NOT investigating Officer Thompson who
did not show up for court) testified at that trial about the events surrounding
the incident.
It was established by all witnesses during testimony that Robert was indeed
traffic signals. One witness stated, “The dog should have never left the curb”.
Defendant, Wesley Truesdell testified that Robert walked into the truck which
he’d brought to a stop when he finally saw Robert.

Presiding Hearing Officer, Gary Roberts seemed thorough and fair to me and I was
hopeful that the right decision would be forthcoming, as he promised to read the
White Cane Safety law.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Today when we went to the
for Leon County Traffic Court, we found that case #2013 TR 037367 against D
efendant: Wesley Truesdell was DISMISSED.

I amended to Robert’s early August message which basically outlines events as
unfolded for him. I do not know if the White Cane Safety law has ever been
in court before but I am afraid that this will set precedence for a safe future
for blind pedestrians. I am appalled at decisions made by law enforcers who are
to protect the rights, not privileges of citizens. I have, and will maintain
that driving is a privilege, while walking (crossing streets) safely is a right.

Any recourse is gone now, as re-charging Mr. Truesdell would be double-jeopardy.
I could not feel more like a second-class citizen or less protected by
What of the Mayor’s White Cane proclamation in October? What of Sherman’s medal
valor? How could someone “walk into a truck” and get a bruise on the area of the
upper-arm as Robert had? What of Mr. Truesdell’s change in story which caused
Tallahassee Police personnel to decide to charge him after all? Is the
investigating officer’s absence (lack of testimony) representative that the
police department actually believes Mr. Truesdell is not at fault? Is Robert’s
persistence in demanding that Mr. Truesdell be charged with the White Cane
Safety law and upsetting Officer Thompson who wasn’t going to charge Mr.
Truesdell with a violation an excuse for not upholding the White Cane Safety
law, clearly broken, even if Robert “walked into that truck”? Am I reading the
White Cane Safety law incorrectly to believe that the driver is at fault for
entering the intersection while a blind pedestrian was in process of crossing
a guide dog?