[tabi] Fw: [fcb-l] Commission to look into unemployment among workers withdisabilities

  • From: "Easy Talk" <easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 08:42:04 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Easy Talk
To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 8:36 AM
Subject: [fcb-l] Commission to look into unemployment among workers
withdisabilities

front
Wed, Jul 27, 2011  |  Updated: 8:34 AM
Commission to look into unemployment among workers with disabilities
By Paul Flemming Florida Capital Bureau
July 27, 2011
Gov. Rick Scott on Tuesday created a commission to address high unemployment
among
workers with disabilities.
Scott's executive order was signed on the anniversary of the Americans with
Disabilities
Act, signed into law in 1990 by President George H.W. Bush. It sets up the
Governor's
Commission on Jobs for Floridians with Disabilities. It's charged with
identifying
shortcomings in the efforts of state and local programs to help people with
disabilities.
Unemployment is an epidemic among Floridians with disabilities.
U.S. Census Bureau data from 2009 showed there were 342,941 working-age
Floridians
with disabilities who had jobs. That's a 32-percent employment rate among the
more
than 1 million people with disabilities in Florida. The rate has stayed almost
the
same in the 21 years since the ADA became law.
Members of the commission still are being identified. A release said its members
will come from education and job-training fields, include private-sector
employers
and people with disabilities.
"As we work to grow Florida's private-sector jobs by making our state the best
place
to start, grow or move a business, we need to also make sure we are ensuring job
opportunities for Floridians with disabilities," Scott said in a release.
Bryan Vaughn, acting director of the state's Agency for Persons with
Disabilities,
said he expected members to be named to the new commission within a month.
Vaughn said studies by the University of Florida indicate the state's population
of people who self-identify as having disabilities is about 7 million. The
commission's
work to address unemployment, therefore, is important not only to those
individuals,
but also as a policy matter for the state.
"It really does become an economic issue as well as a huge public-policy issue,"
Vaughn said. "The majority of people with disabilities that I know want to
work."
The commission Scott created is a successor to a series of state groups designed
to address the challenges of people with disabilities going back to 1993 and
then-Gov.
Lawton Chiles. He created the Florida Coordinating Council for the Americans
with
Disabilities Act to encourage cooperation between state and local governments
implementing
the ADA. Govs. Jeb Bush and Charlie Crist created their own versions. Vaughn
previously
was named executive director of Crist's Commission on Disabilities.
"Right now it's a really good time to focus on jobs," Vaughn said. "It's great
show employers that here we have this huge, highly talented, highly educated
pool
of employees that wants to work."
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share by SMS
Share by Email
More Stories »
Judge hearing challenge to Florida campaign law
Morning update: Storms not affecting traffic yet
My e-Edition isn't working
Sections

Latest News

News