[tabi] Re: Fw: comperhensive report of IG's report on DBS attached

  • From: "Allison and Chip Orange" <acorange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:22:06 -0400

Thanks Robert for sharing this with all of us.

I don't know what to say; I think this is inevitable given all the
outsourcing that's going on from DBS.  There's just too much money being
handed all around (except maybe to clients), and unfortunately, many people
in the pipeline get a direct percentage of the money their organization
takes in (or an indirect percentage).  Money handled like this tempts
everyone, which includes a lot of unqualified people to come into the system
(they're doing it for the money, not because it's their calling).

If you don't think this is the ultimate source of the problem, just contrast
this to the system where a state bureau chief receives a standardized
salary, regardless of how much money his bureau handles.  Think about why a
group of people have hired their own lobbyist to see that they get as much
money as possible.  I think we'll never be able to clean up the system as
long as it works like this; money is too difficult to manage, too much of a
temptation.  I think we need to go back to a system where state employees do
this work, and they do it in a standardized way, for a standardized salary,
across the state, and if you as a client have a problem, you have a long
chain of command which you can work with to get satisfaction.

Chip

  _____