[tabi] Fw: comments posted on wctv site ref my accident

  • From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:40:03 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Easy Talk
To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 11:31 AM
Subject: Fw: comments posted on wctv site ref my accident

----- Original Message -----
From: Easy Talk
To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 7:28 AM
Subject: comments posted on wctv site ref my accident

Thought I would post the comments to save you all the trouble of finding them
your self since the site isn't all that friendly.

Just another agenda just like the bicyclisyts who want to own the roadways. Why
it that when just one person has a problem or an issue, the whole world has to
their ways to accommodate them? The white cane law is stupid and dangerous.
flowing smoothly suddenly having to stop at a green light because someone raises
a white cane and just walks in to the road is ridiculous!
Blink Blogger
I'm Robert's sister, and it's pretty disheartening to see
the ignorance and lack of understanding displayed in so many comments of
presumably perfectly sighted individuals! Being blind myself and using a white
cane instead of a guide dog, I've also had two potentially life threatening
experiences when crossing at the intersection of Crawfordville Highway and
Capital Circle because of drivers who didn't even slow down when making a right
turn on red, much less come to a full stop or "yield the right-of-way"
(including a dump truck). So I wonder just how many of us will have to be
seriously injured or even killed before SOMEONE DOES SOMETHING about the
obvious danger for visually impaired pedestrians!
Despite being forced to accept a certain level of dependence
as the result of our blindness, it seems that doing our utmost to maintain as
much independence as possible when it comes to simply going to the grocery
store and performing other necessary
daily activities would be an admirable trait, rather than a matter of such
ridicule or idiotic commentary. Instead, why doesn't a blind man being nearly
killed through no fault of his own and because (as the driver himself told the
police officer) a driver didn't see him (even though he was crossing the street
in plain view) get the attention of those who have the ability to make changes
that could literally save someone else from a worse outcome than what happened
to my brother yesterday? And since both
Robert and my sister-in-law have previously been hit by cars at the same
it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the odds of their
safe crossing there are not good.
So I'll conclude with a few constructive suggestions for our
state and/or local law makers to consider. First, is the convenience of drivers
being able to make a right turn on red worth more than the potential loss of
life or serious bodily harm it poses to all pedestrians, and even more
particularly to those who are blind, elderly and otherwise disabled? I don't
think so. And if even our police officers aren't aware of the White Cane Law,
along with every driver the reporter asked about it yesterday, we desperately
some kind of public service announcements to better inform the public and alert
them to the need to be on the lookout for blind and otherwise disabled
Additionally, since NONE of the drivers questioned yesterday (including
multiple police personnel) were even aware that Florida law requires them to
come to a full stop AND TO YIELD THE RIGHT-OF-WAY whenever a blind pedestrian
a guide dog or white cane is crossing the street (even though that's clearly
stated in the current Florida Driver Handbook in Sections 5.16.3 and 5.16.4),
the White Cane Law is obviously given woefully insufficient attention when
take the required test to obtain a Florida driver's license. And since my
brother literally had to fight for the truck driver to be given a ticket,
perhaps much more serious penalties and fines should be imposed and mandatory
whenever any driver fails to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians as required
by the White Cane Law. Finally, since the
truck driver admitted that he never even saw my brother, I can't help
wondering if he was texting or reading a text message at the time of the
incident since I'm not aware of anything that would have obstructed his view.
I am personally aware of several serious auto accidents caused by a driver's
so perhaps it's time to require that the cell phone records of all drivers
involved in accidents be examined to determine if they were texting and to
impose very heavy mandatory fines and penalties if that's the case. After all,
ever sent or received in a text message is worth the potential serious bodily
harm or death of another person just because a driver isn't paying proper
attention while driving!
Steve Montgomery
As you can see from the post history below that there are most people that
what you're saying, and feel bad for what nearly happened to your brother. They
your view and what you're trying to do. Two avenues for you to consider are the
stations and the state. If it's important enough to you then you should pursue
More laws aren't the answer. Awareness and education can probably do a lot a
Most good people will respond favorably to that.
Sadly, there will always be those who hide behind keyboards and post their
Don't let them deter or draw you into the back and forth. That's the only way
win. They'll never admit to you that their life essentially sucks. You can
assume they have self-esteem issues. They're nothing more than internet cowards.
It's why you see them hide their names and post the things they do.
The Idiot
Hold on a minute, how did this guy know it was a truck, how did he even know he
almost ran over if he's blind. Im calling BS on this, do we have video from the
cams or something. Now all of a sudden this guy can tell what kind of vehicle
hit him. BS
Mrs Moore
He could probably hear it.
Are you deaf?
The Idiot
Little hard of hearing from working around heavy machinery, but not enough to
a disability or get one of those cool talk to text phones. I just see this as
of an agenda piece than an actual story, but to add that the blind guy said a
"almost" hit him, hmmmm, could have been a hoopty with a ragged muffler. I mean,
did the person passing him, the one that "almost" hit him scream out " I'm
a truck!"? Did someone tell him that he almost got ran over by a truck.
You need to get 'em checked -- I can tell between 4 and 18 wheels literally a
mile distant -- and up close can discern 10, not to mention load condition...
No telling what a guy blind from birth can do.
The Idiot
Oh I agree with the semi part, I could hear the low rumble from a concrete truck
from 3 miles out, makes my back hurt just thinking about it, but the truck part,
just kinda fishy
I know this guy. See him at least two or three times a week. He goes by the law
never goes over half mile from the house just to get food. I saw a comment from
guy named the idiot which he is and hope you go through the same thing you
The Idiot
Oh , guess who didn't see the post? The one that matters most, the seeing eye
WTH, are you going to run oft and tell him I posted this?
The Idiot
Sheesh, I have a feeling you couldn't fit a toothpick up your bunghole with a
hammer, oh , btw, i'm reporting you for calling me names, you hurt my feelings,
mommas crazy and I'm not afraid to tell on you.
Seems like it would be common sense to stop if a blind person, or anyone for
matter, is in the road! Why is a law needed?!
Quick question: this happened a while ago but I want to know the answer just in
I see it again. Does anyone know who you report seeing eye dog abuse too? I was
down john Knox and this lady had a seeing eye dog. Well traffic was coming so
dog didn't go in the street. The woman was yanking on the dog, cussing at it and
telling it to go. The dog was scared and had his tail between his legs. I think
might have even hit the dog. How do you report someone for seeing eye dog abuse
clearly they need the dog? Do you call the cops or the animal cops? And if they
the dog away...won't she get another?
Mrs Moore
Awww that's terrible!! Maybe stop and ask her if she'd rather get ran over...idk
that's a tough one :(
I'd have stopped and asked just what the hell she was doing.
Wish I would have but I was in shock I guess. The dog didn't want her to get hit
by a car
I think you're supposed to report animal abuse to Animal Control.
Won't they give her another dog? What if she does the same thing again. There
to be some sort of rules.
I don't know. I honestly never even thought about this before! I always imagined
this loving relationship between person and dog. I never even imagined that
people were abusing their seeing-eye dogs. Actually the whole story made me hate
humanity even more than I already did!
The Idiot
Lets sneak up and swap dogs on her, give her one that chases cars, hahahaha
This comment almost makes up for the callous remarks you made above. This one
me smile. The ones above are just kinda cold. If the story is a slight
of the truth, it doesn't really matter, especially if it makes at least one
stop and think. I really do like you switching dogs idea, though! :)
Maybe you can give her a cat....tell her it's the new thing. Or a seeing eye
The Idiot
Seeing eye fish
Seeing eye tadpole?
The Idiot
seeing eye soap on a rope
The Idiot
give her a box with a furby in it and a rope to pull it
Or a dead possum....just as effective.
The Idiot
Some people need to be hit, if she was blind you could have done it and she
be able to identify you :)
Terrible. But I have to admit I laughed :)
The Idiot
Humor is such a fleeting thing, not everyone gets my twisted tang, you must have
been abducted by aliens also, usually thats the only ones that get it.
Impossible Idiot. I have watched many documentaries and black people don't get
by aliens, aliens don't even go to the hood. Last time an alien went to the
ET got shot in a driveby and his spaceship got stolen. A few days later the
was spotted with rims on it..blasting the new Jay Z album
The Idiot
Next time watch where you're going blindy Mc blind guy. :)
Steve Montgomery
Change your nic to "a**hole". "The Idiot" doesn't serve you well enough.
The Idiot
hey relax Steve, not like blindy can read this, thanks for sticking up for him
the forum, I just hope you dont trick this guy into thinking youre his
Steve Montgomery
How crappy your life must be that you need to behave this way on a news forum.
commando = coward. Good for you. Moving on....
The Idiot
What? Guess you feel better picking on me hurting my feelings on the forum, I
none of your friends ever mess with you about any of your non perfect
I've got friends with no legs and missing digits and have no qualms asking for a
high 4 or making cheaper sock jokes, one pair last twice as long. Ok if this
make you feel better, I'll apologize to your pal, ... .... .. .... .... ....
. . ... . Will you be my fren now?
What an awesome doggie!
Good puppy! Well trained and well worth the investment.
Can anyone tell the difference between a person walking his dog or a seeing eye
doing their job? I know about the white cane law, but to be able to tell the
between a seeing eye dog and a dog walking is nearly impossible.
Maybe if the guy had the cane, it would have been different.
A person just walking his dog will usually just use a leash. Seeing eye dogs
typically be on a U shaped harness.
Atta boy Sherman! Good dog! Glad you're all OK.
As to the White Cane Law, I don't know how anyone can expect 30 tons of truck to
come to a halt in time to prevent tragedy. Kinda like really expecting a
intersection to become a four-way stop during a power-failure.
Not only do I know how, but I expect it too. How about people driving vehicles
some situational awareness for walkers, joggers, canes, doggies, no power,
etc.? Secondly, don't drive at an excessive rate of speed, you're breaking the
if you do (remember the speed limit is max authorized speed in perfect
Third, be in control of your vehicle (if you can't stop in time, you weren't).
hard is that?
Steve Montgomery
It's not an unrealistic expectation. This pedestrian didn't just jump out into
intersection expecting everyone to come to a quick stop. The solution is really
simple: EVERYONE needs to slow down, pay attention, be responsible, and be
It really is not that hard.
Gretchen Washington
Walking around in ritchie rich repubic-an side of town you will hit, they all
on cell phone and there fancy cars.
Seriously... how sad and pathetic is your life? I suppose you have a point, in a
way, though. A person is probably more likely to get hit by a "fancy car" in
area versus a hoopty on the South side. The distraction by being on a cell phone
is probably about equal, if not a bit more so on the South side with
I won't go into. However, you neglected to mention the much higher likelihood of
one being gunned down in a drive-by on the South side and in the hoods...
Jealous much? How about "justification for education" these so called "rich"
are not all republicans. They are all from different political backgrounds, race
and religions. They have educated themselves so they may get the high paying
and afford the nice cars on the nice side of town.
The good news is they generally have money and a decent amount of car insurance
you -- or your family -- are gonna get paid. Better than what I can say for the
side of town.
Aww you are just mad because they are functionally literate and you are not.
Not likely she's aware of that. She's not aware of much, it appears. It's so
it may be an act.
Just possibly an act. Remember tony? "Steeling jobs"?
Same same.