[tabi] Re: Fw: article 2 on DBS contracts

  • From: wendy.hoss@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 02:33:03 +0000 (UTC)

It is still not enough

----- Original Message -----
From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:42:19 PM
Subject: [tabi] Fw: article 2 on DBS contracts

----- Original Message -----
From: Easy Talk
To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:40 PM
Subject: article 2 on DBS contracts

State officials call for contracts fix at Blind Services
Interim Education Commissioner Pam Stewart said the state's Division of Blind
will now competitively bid its contracts.
She issued the following statement in response to the Times/Herald
investigation into the Division of Blind Services. The
revealed that private vendors at the state division to help blind people
the terms of their own no-bid contracts and receive little state oversight.
“Florida Statutes exempt the Division of Blind Services from seeking
bids to contract with nonprofit entities to provide community rehabilitation
However, as part of the Governor’s agency-wide initiative to save money in
the Department of Education has begun the process of requiring competitive
for these services.”
Division of Blind Services Director Joyce Hildreth, accused by her staff of
relationships" with contractors, was quick to follow up.
“It is the Department’s intent to competitively bid out these services. I am in
total support of this position, and will be taking action to strengthen our
and performance monitoring activities.”
Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, whose office signs contract checks, has
for more authority to enforce contracts and not renew those that do poorly in
He issued the following statement.
"Your story certainly clearly highlights the problems and flaws in the state’s
system that I have brought to the forefront since taking office. This is yet
example that proves the need for reforms that promote greater accountability
transparency in grants and contracts, and ultimately protect taxpayer dollars
fraud, waste and abuse."
Here is the reaction from Gov. Rick Scott's office.
Governor Scott has asked state agencies to look for efficiencies to ensure tax
are used in the most effective way possible.
Posted by Brittany Davis at 10:20:59 am on November 14, 2012 in