[tabi] Fw: article 2 on DBS contracts

  • From: "Easy Talk" <Easytalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:42:19 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Easy Talk
To: fcb-l@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:40 PM
Subject: article 2 on DBS contracts

State officials call for contracts fix at Blind Services
Interim Education Commissioner Pam Stewart said the state's Division of Blind
Services
will now competitively bid its contracts.
She issued the following statement in response to the Times/Herald
 investigation into the Division of Blind Services. The
story
revealed that private vendors at the state division to help blind people dictate
the terms of their own no-bid contracts and receive little state oversight.
"Florida Statutes exempt the Division of Blind Services from seeking competitive
bids to contract with nonprofit entities to provide community rehabilitation
programs.
However, as part of the Governor's agency-wide initiative to save money in
contracting,
the Department of Education has begun the process of requiring competitive
bidding
for these services."
Division of Blind Services Director Joyce Hildreth, accused by her staff of
"cozy
relationships" with contractors, was quick to follow up.
"It is the Department's intent to competitively bid out these services.  I am in
total support of this position, and will be taking action to strengthen our
contract
and performance monitoring activities."
Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, whose office signs contract checks, has
pushed
for more authority to enforce contracts and not renew those that do poorly in
audits.
He issued the following statement.
"Your story certainly clearly highlights the problems and flaws in the state's
contracting
system that I have brought to the forefront since taking office. This is yet
another
example that proves the need for reforms that promote greater accountability and
transparency in grants and contracts, and ultimately protect taxpayer dollars
from
fraud, waste and abuse."
Here is the reaction from Gov. Rick Scott's office.
Governor Scott has asked state agencies to look for efficiencies to ensure tax
dollars
are used in the most effective way possible.
@britt_alana
Posted by Brittany Davis at 10:20:59 am on November 14, 2012 in