[tabi] Fw: City of Tallahassee News Release - Local Business Saturday Launches Website

  • From: "Lynn Evans" <evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:02:56 -0500

FYI
----- Original Message -----
From: City of Tallahassee
To: evans-lynn@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2011 1:27 PM
Subject: City of Tallahassee News Release - Local Business Saturday Launches
Website

      Local Business Saturday Launches Website

      Economic Development Initiative Encourages Consumers to Shop Local; Local
Businesses Offer Special Deals on Feb. 12th - In an effort to rejuvenate our
local economy and in preparation for the next Local Business Saturday on Feb.
12, Tallahassee Mayor John Marks, in collaboration with local business leaders,
announced today the launch of the Local Business Saturday website,
www.LocalBusinessSaturday.com.

      "The Local Business Saturday website can strengthen our local economy by
increasing public awareness of the value of shopping locally," said Mayor
Marks. "Shoppers can visit the site to find the latest deals offered by our
local business community, but even more importantly, shopping at these
businesses can create jobs in Tallahassee and is an investment in our schools
and overall quality of life."

      Studies have shown that for every $100 spent at a local business, an
average of $68 remains in the local economy. And for every year over the past
decade, 60% to 80% of all new jobs were created by small businesses.

      A locally owned website design company, Netphiles Inc., developed the
website and will maintain it for one year, without any cost to the City of
Tallahassee or to local businesses.

      "We are very proud to do our part for Tallahassee's business community by
providing in-kind website services to Local Business Saturday," said Mahwash
Mahmood, President of Netphiles Inc. "The new website is a showcase for local
businesses and a place where Tallahassee residents can find some great deals."

      Local Business Saturday is a collaborative effort by Tallahassee Mayor
John Marks and the City of Tallahassee, Greater Tallahassee Chamber of
Commerce, Tallahassee-Leon Economic Development Council, Capital City Chamber
of Commerce, Locally Owned Tallahassee, Market District Tallahassee, and local
businesses. This initiative, which has designated every second Saturday of the
month in 2011 as a Local Business Saturday, includes a targeted marketing
campaign encouraging consumers to shop at locally-owned and locally-operated
businesses for cost-saving deals. The next Local Business Saturday is February
12th.

      "Local Business Saturday is a great innovation that will stimulate the
local economy and motivate citizens to do most, if not all, of their shopping
right here in Tallahassee", said Pam Ridley, owner of Sentry Self Service
Storage, a local business.

      For more information and a list of local businesses participating in the
Local Business Saturday, please visit www.LocalBusinessSaturday.com. If you own
a local business and would like to participate, please contact Max Stout in the
Mayor's office at 891-2000 or Max.Stout@xxxxxxxxxxx

      Contact: Rick Minor, Mayor's Office, (850) 891-8002

      Click here to update your information and email preferences