[tabi] FW: Mobile Speak and Windows Phone 7

  • From: "Joe Plummer" <joeplummer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tabi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:03:42 -0400

FYI,

sign,
Joe Plummer (JP)
joeplummer@xxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: Code Factory News (no reply) [mailto:enews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: September 01, 2010 11:54 AM
To: blackjack2@xxxxxxx
Subject: Mobile Speak and Windows Phone 7

 Logo Code Factory<http://www.codefactory.es/images/newsletter_cab.gif>

Caroline Ragot - Marketing Director
marketing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Windows Phone 7

Mobile Speak for Windows Mobile, 5 years of successes and challenges

Code Factory products will not be compatible with the initial versions of
Windows Phone 7

Terrassa (Barcelona), Spain, September, 1st, 2010

Code Factory has always shown a great commitment to keep up-to-date with the
latest mobile phone technology. Back in 2005, Code Factory launched Mobile
Speak Pocket. ?Many of our users were asking us to make Windows Mobile
Pocket PCs accessible, because at the time they were the only
professional-oriented mobile devices,? explained Eduard Sánchez, Code
Factory?s CEO. ?One of our top priorities has always been to allow our
profesionnal blind and visually impaired users to be as efficient and
productive as their sighted peers. Therefore, based on the experience of
Mobile Speak for Symbian phones released two years earlier, we put together
all our passion, knowledge and effort and developed Mobile Speak for Windows
Mobile?.

In five years, Code Factory took up many challenges with the Windows Mobile
platform, including support for the first touchscreen devices; support for
hundreds of devices from more than fifteen different manufacturers such as
HTC, HP, Motorola, and Samsung; support for customized firmware from
carriers from all over the world; and support for five new operating system
(OS) versions, from Windows Mobile 2003 SE to Windows Mobile 6.5.

Microsoft has announced the upcoming release of Windows Phone 7. Windows
Phone 7 is not an upgraded version of Windows Mobile 6.5. It is a brand-new
OS, which means that applications built for Windows Mobile 6.x or earlier
will not run on Windows Phone 7.

As a software developer, Code Factory is facing the same issues as
mainstream companies such as Mozilla, Adobe or Skype. ?Windows Phone 7
doesn?t support native code development, which means that it is technically
impossible to develop a screen reader application without the direct help of
Microsoft, the OS maker?, explained Eduard Sánchez. ?Therefore Mobile Speak,
Mobile Geo, and Mobile Magnifier will not run on the initial version of
Windows Phone 7?.

However, Mobile Speak, Mobile Magnifier and Mobile Geo will of course keep
running on supported Windows Mobile devices. Also, the Windows Mobile 6.5
devices won?t disappear from the market all at once, and Code Factory?s
customers should still be able to acquire them for a reasonable period of
time after the release of Windows Phone 7.

?We have been talking with Microsoft for the last few months to try to
remedy the situation and come up with an accessible solution for Windows
Phone 7 as soon as possible. In fact, we waited until now to make this
announcement because we were hoping that together with Microsoft we could
find a solution before the release of the first Windows Phone 7 devices, but
unfortunately this will not be the case? added Eduard Sánchez. ?Microsoft
has always been willing to put accessibility on its road map, however it
hasn?t been possible for the first release of Windows Phone 7. We at Code
Factory are at their entire disposal to provide our assistance and
expertise?.

Greg Sullivan, Senior Product Manager at Microsoft Mobile Communications
Business Group said, "We understand that the initial Windows Phone 7 release
doesn?t live up to some expectations in specific scenarios but as we work on
future versions of the technology we hope to learn from the Accessibility
Community about what scenarios and features will allow Windows Phone to
appeal to more users."

Eduard Sánchez concluded, ?Developing Mobile Speak for Windows Mobile has
taught us a lot and we are proud of our development team for those five
years of hard work. We are very excited with the future of mobile phones and
all the new platforms which are coming out. We hope that soon we will be
able to add Windows Phone 7 to the list of our successful challenges?.

For more information about Microsoft Accessibility, visit
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/

For more information about Code Factory?s accessible solutions, visit
http://www.codefactory.es or submit a ticket through Code Factory?s Help
Desk at http://www.codefactory.cat/helpdesk/

About Code Factory

Founded in 1998 and headquartered in Terrassa (Barcelona), Spain, Code
Factory is the global leader committed to the development of products
designed to eliminate barriers to the accessibility of mobile technology for
the blind and visually impaired. Today, Code Factory is the leading provider
of screen readers, screen magnifiers, and Braille interfaces for the widest
range of mainstream mobile devices. Among Code Factory's customers are well
known organizations for the blind such as ONCE, and carriers such as AT&T,
Bouygues Telecom, SFR, TIM and Vodafone.

For more information, feel free to contact Code Factory S.L.:

Code Factory, S.L., Rambla d'Egara 148 2-2, 08221 Terrassa (Barcelona)
HelpDesk <http://www.codefactory.cat/helpdesk/> , www.codefactory.es Code
Factory, S.L. - 2010

also can send an email to marketing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for any request related
to the Code Factory's news.